MAC OS X: Forum

Upgrade Macbook Pro or New Desktop Mac?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brie DixonUpgrade Macbook Pro or New Desktop Mac?
by on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:49:38 am

Hi All,

I bought my MacBook Pro 5 w/ 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor at the start of 2010. Since then I have taken a massive interest in Post Production, which of course takes a lot more out of the computer than I originally knew.

Overall its a good machine but I find the render time for FCP and AE can be pretty intolerable, and as I am planning to add Colour Grading software to the system shortly not sure if the system will be able to handle it.

As I am signed on as a designated editor and colour grader for the next few months I was wondering thoughts on whether is is worth upgrading ram and other things on my macbook (and what you would recommend) or if I should just invest in a desktop mac (and what will be the best for prosumer post production?)

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before! Thanks in advance for any help!

Brie Dixon. :)

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: Upgrade Macbook Pro or New Desktop Mac?
by on Aug 19, 2011 at 12:24:06 am

If you need a new machine right now, I wouldn't bother with one of the new Mac Pros. Try to find a good deal on a used one. Apple is either going to refresh the line soon or drop it entirely.

Anyone's guess at this point what they will do.

Return to posts index

Everest MokaeffRe: Upgrade Macbook Pro or New Desktop Mac?
by on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:40:25 am

I agree, we're kind of in twilight zone. On the other hand, if money is no problem for you, you might take a look at this model: Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (8 cores). This is my weapon of choice.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]