MAC OS X: Forum

Moving large files

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Willy Lavendel
Moving large files
on Aug 5, 2011 at 1:35:53 am

Hi Creative Cows,

I'm continually running into a problem that needs more attention. As we know FAT32 cannot moves files larger than 4 gigs and it's making my life harder.

I've been using Path Finder that totes it's able to move large files and it works...sometimes. Other times it finishes the transfer and the file is nowhere to be seen.

I've hear you can change the volume from FAT32 to NTFS WITHOUT losing data, that could be an option.

What about splitting the file into two parts?

I'd like to know if there are any smart-alec, quick-and-easy solutions for this?

I'd really appreciate that,

Thanks

Willy

Willy Lavendel
"Is this for real?" "No, only in the movies"

Return to posts index

Chris Gordon
Re: Moving large files
on Aug 6, 2011 at 2:55:51 am

FAT32 is a filesystem just like HFS+ or NTFS. It has to do with how files are stored on disk, not anything to do with the actual transfer or copy of the files (or move as you say). FAT32 is, as you point out, limited to a max file size of 4GB - 1 byte (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat32#FAT32) and a max volume size of 2TB. If you try to copy a file larger than 4GB to a FAT32 you're going to have problems (corrupt, truncated, empty file -- depends on the OS and file system implementation).

Regardless of Pathfinder or any other tool, you can't overcome the limits of the destination file system. It's like you have a 1 gallon bucket. No matter how big of a hose you use and how much pressure you move the water with, that bucket is only ever going to hold 1 gallon.

Look for the convert command in Windows. It can convert a volume from FAT to NTFS without destroying the data, though I'd never go without a back up or other copy of the data. Remember that Mac OS X does not ship with NTFS drivers. There are various NTFS solutions out there like NTFS-3g (I've used that before on Linux but never had a need on OS X).

Maybe you can explain your setup a bit more and what you're trying to do. Then we might be able to give you some better options.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:59:16 pm

I still don't get it: Why would you like to use such outdated a file format on mac. If i had fat32 I'd either toss it right away or format into mac compatible type.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Aug 7, 2011 at 5:35:16 pm

Everest, Just FYI ... FAT32 is Mac compatible ... and Windows compatible ... both without the need for additional software to allow read or write (like NTFS on Mac of HFS on Win). I guess that's why it's still commonly used on a lot of USB drives and other small/portable drives.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Aug 7, 2011 at 6:55:17 pm

Glad for you. I don't use it anywhere and never have to think how to copy large files over. May be it's time to stop clinging to the past. Thanks for info, though.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Aug 7, 2011 at 7:10:52 pm

I was simply trying to be helpful by offering more accurate information that you have so I don't at all appreciate your condescending tone. I could care less whether you use Fat32 or consider yourself superior to anyone who might understand that there are still uses for it. Best of luck with that. Cheers.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Aug 7, 2011 at 7:27:41 pm

Apologies if my answer to you seemed abrasive. i don't like being patronized.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 7, 2011 at 7:40:17 pm

Willy, there are times when splitting data files into two parts is very useful, not only for FAT32 Hard Drive storage, but also for uploading massive files in chunks, like via YouSendIt with a 2gb limit.

There's a little app that I use occasionally for this called Chop DMG. It breaks a large DMG file into several segments, which then recombine when they're all downloaded on the other side.

Google can help you build a DMG file, and I'm not sure how you'll want to handle moving to a PC from a Mac using this (can PC's open DMG?), but this might put you on the right path to what you're looking for.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Chris Gordon
on Aug 8, 2011 at 2:30:38 am

If you're comfortable at the command line, you can use split to cut any file up into smaller chunks. You can recombine all of the parts into the original using cat (on OS X or other *nix flavors). I'm guessing you could use "type" on windows to do similar, but I've never tried.

As for transferring files, if you can do it over the network, you might be able to escape the limits you're hitting with FAT32. FAT32 (and now exFAT) are very popular and the standard for pretty much all removable flash media (CF, SD, usb sticks, etc) and can be handy in many cases. Of course with that comes various limitations. It's all a matter of choosing the best tool for the job and dealing with the less than optimal aspects of the tool.

Return to posts index

Willy Lavendel
on Aug 8, 2011 at 4:01:33 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I like the idea of chopping up large DMG files and reassembling them later. I suppose for the future I'll look into different formats to make my life even easier.

Perhaps I'll even split my hard drive.

Thanks again,

Willy

Willy Lavendel
"Is this for real?" "No, only in the movies"

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Aug 8, 2011 at 11:21:42 pm

There's another zero cost solution for cross platform file copying.

It works out of the box with Win7 and 10.6.5 (or later.) - it's called ExFAT and you'll find it if you reformat the drive in disk utility.

Works great with 4gb+ files; only FCPX doesn't like it for a storage drive.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]