MAC OS X: Forum

OSX 10.7 Lemon ?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trygve Roos
OSX 10.7 Lemon ?
on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:47:17 am

The new Apple X operating system should be renamed "OS X Lemon", it is cumbersome to use, many good features of Preview, Safari (the web camera does not work), Finder, etc are either removed or their user interface is spoiled. Mail is destroyed beyond recognition. It becomes often extremely sluggish and slow. All of a sudden my MacBook Pro freezes or pauses for minutes, nothing works, not even the shut down command. It is a real lemon and the worst update ever. I tried to revert to Snow Leopard, but it was not possible. Now I try to install Snow Leopard on an empty disk, removing the original one, but probably Apple has prevented that rescue operation too. Apple is probably considering the 'smart phone stupidos'  their main target group and is doing their best to alienate all serious professionals. That policy worked very well with the Final Cut Pro users, why wouldn't it work well with the rest of the professionals? 

Return to posts index

Nigel Beaumont
Re: OSX 10.7 Lemon ?
on Jul 22, 2011 at 4:47:23 pm

Don't worry, if you're having trouble just copy everything from your clone drive and go back to snow leopard.
You did use superduper or carbon copy cloner first right? Hope so, as there won't be much sympathy on the Cow otherwise......

Nigel Beaumont

Mac Pro Quad 3.0Ghz 12GB FCS 3 OSX 10.6.7, Aja IO, some black cables&shiny firewire drives

"Ofcourse it'll be finished in time for tx"

Return to posts index

Trygve Roos
on Jul 23, 2011 at 12:37:55 pm

SuperDuper does not work, it stops after copying 19GB. Any copying larger than 20GB is freezing. HW test=no problems found. The original restore DVD does not work "You can't use this version of the application Install Mac OS X with this version of Mac OS X. You have install Mac OS X 23.1.1." (The grammatical error isn't mine) The OS X Snow Leopard, the same problem. Probably OS X Lion destroys the firmware.

My MacBook Pro is my 41st Apple computer, but it really begins to seem that it might be my last one. If I have to throw away my less than a year old MacBook Pro, because Apple prevented all restoring options, I think I have to buy a PC in order to get my work done. Obviously serious professional producers (I do audio production) do not belong to Apple's target audience. I bet they discontinue the Mac Pro before X-mas and the rest of the computer line within two years.

Very, very sad (and expensive for me, at least)

Trygve Roos, DPhil, Dist.Prof.

Return to posts index

Nigel Beaumont
on Jul 23, 2011 at 8:51:29 pm

Go on, see if you can make it to 42 Apple computers, I'm sure that number will be the answer to everything

Return to posts index

Trygve Roos
on Jul 24, 2011 at 11:17:42 am

I see the point and decided to bite the bullet. Perhaps I can get used to Apple trying to steel my brains, i.e. depraving me from independent thinking by thinking on my behalf and automatically forcing me back to anything I didn't plan to do ever again and all the other new brain-stealing stupidities.
I'm sure there must be some good stuff, too. Since my Adobe Creative Suite doesn't work anymore (version 1) I decided to look at Pages. For simple projects is seems to be fine. Perhaps it will do the job (books, brochures and CD envelopes, etc).
The new Preview is pretty useless, and since my Photoshop doesn't work anymore, I'll have to find another program where I can edit photos and make web proof pics. Photoshop Elements, perhaps?? I don't know that one.
It is a petty Apple abandoned my most important program, Soundtrack Pro. I so much waited for a 64bit version, and then instead Apple announced the Tourist Version of Final Cut with audio editing hidden somewhere deep in the video editing stuff I don't need.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 24, 2011 at 2:27:49 pm

Go back one gen in software. You can play with the new toy FCP X in snow leopard to get used to the new way of thinking while you do your real work in FCS 3 and photoshop. Meantime give Apple some time to get out the bugs and you are back on turf you know. Your clients could care less that you have to wait longer for renders.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: OSX 10.7 Lemonade!
on Jul 24, 2011 at 6:47:50 pm

Use Pixelmator. It's $30 off the App store. Great photoshop alternative and you'll be surprised as how speedy it is.

As far as everything else you wrote, I'm not even sure of the question. Preview is much more powerful in Lion. The biggest problems with Lion tend to be with 3rd parties programs who either only operated under the discontinued Rosetta support (CS1?) or didn't invest $99 into the Apple developer kit to test their programs for their clients. This is especially true of many NAS providers, apparently. You can also hold down option when restarting, select the 'recovery' partition that is created by Lion and run disk utility to repairs permissions on your hard drive. This may solve many problems you're having.

You can always go back to Snow Leopard. You'll need to google a how-to to do it though.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Trygve Roos
on Jul 25, 2011 at 6:50:54 am

Yes, 'new from clipboard' in Preview seemed not to work, but now when I tried, it did. Thanks for the advice on substituting Photoshop with Pixelmator - I actually have a demo version somewhere (on a disc from MacFormat).
I took a look at Pages, and it seems it can very well do what I used to do with InDesign, books and brochures. I used to print on my CD's using Photoshop and an inkjet, fortunately I found that I have a program (budged with Toast) that will do just that.
An irritating feature of Lion is that it opens windows and applications from the past when you start up the Mac. Even if the "Reopen windows when logging in" box isn't ticked, it still opens all the old stuff. And in Safari, unless you remember to close all windows, you get the whole bunch of old windows opened. I think there should be an option in the Finder preferences (if there is one, I haven't found it)

As far as reverting to Snow Leopard is concerned, I get an error message telling me that it isn't possible "with this OS X version", even if I have installed an empty hard drive. Perhaps something wrong with the MacBook Pro hardware, since the computer doesn't allow large file transfers, anything in excess of about 30 GB just freezes the transfer. SuperDuper doesn't work because of that problem.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 30, 2011 at 3:44:33 pm

Sounds like you need to go to an Apple store.

Return to posts index

Trygve Roos
on Aug 25, 2011 at 4:18:08 pm

You're right. I did, and bought an iMac with Snow Leopard. When I got all my temporary problems fixed, I decided to install Lion on the iMac, too. I don't know whether it is an upgrade or a downgrade, but I kept Snow Leopard intact on my wife's MacBook, so I can use all old PowerPc programs. B y the way, I still use an iBook G4 to run Classic programs, like BarCode Pro and other programs that are too expensive to upgrade for an occasional user.
I must admit, there are some very nice features in Lion that I started to miss using Snow Leopard on my iMac. I even bought a trackpad to be able to fully suffer, excuse me, fully enjoy the new features.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Aug 2, 2011 at 1:26:46 pm

Trygve, I had many problems with Lion when I instatlled on on my MacBook Pro...kernal panics on every start-up....three hours on the phone with Apple support...

Went to Time Machine, chose a date two days before Lion, hit restore and EVERYTHING was back exactly the same way it was. Snow Leopard and all. Easy Peasy.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 25, 2011 at 7:11:30 pm

Two things are going to have to happen on any new install:

1. It's going to be sluggish for a few hours while the revamped spotlight reindexes your entire hard drive. When you see the dot in the spotlight and everything is slow - that's why. Go have some coffee and throw a ball with your kids. It'll be better soon.

2. You need to run disk utility on the OS drive and repair permissions. This should be done on the install, but it ain't. Had an old macbook pro that was almost useless till we did that, now it's heaven.

I think the #1 thing I like about it are the improvements to mail.app.

Return to posts index

Bob Tompkins
on Aug 25, 2011 at 7:22:30 pm

John...I would first have to get past the kernal panic which appeared EVERY time I started my computer to do any of those things. I am going to sit tight for a while. I really need my laptop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]