MAC OS X: Forum

Lion safer or da bomb?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Lion safer or da bomb?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:04:04 pm

While I know a lot programs are not yet Lion compatible, it's been out some hours no and I haven't seen the typical Lion made my dog limp, the fusses blow and there's smoke coming out of my cat, kind of posts. It seems this has been the quietest OSX upgrade in memory.

Heck this is the first post about Lion in this forum as I can tell.

Mac App Store shows 3843 ratings and 3559 are 5 stars with another 146 at 4 stars.

Anybody finding horrible issues and just simply stunned into silence?

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Lion safer or da bomb?
on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:40:01 pm

hello...

considering that it shipped yesterday (i think?), i would assume that most people have yet to drop everything and install it...give it a few weeks...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 20, 2011 at 8:27:12 pm

Judging from the ratings in the App Store and it's the only way to get it, there's certainly a large enough sales base to see reports coming in. Other OS upgrades had reports on the first day and that required someone to either have received the discs in the mail or a trip to an Apple Store.

Of course they'll be a slew of bugs but Bombs become obvious immediately. Printers or scanners not working, documents not being saved, kernel panics, supposedly compatible programs not opening, finder itself crashing, not being able to log into accounts. Bombs. I'm not hearing about any bombs . . . and that surprises me compared to previous releases even on the first day.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Jul 20, 2011 at 9:55:15 pm

It's working good. Minor issues. Nothing to be scared of. My both printers HP and Epson work well. MS Office 2011 work well. Adobe CS5.5 work well. FCS3 work well. iDisk works well.

Sony PMW-EX3, Canon Mark II 5D, FCS3 in Moscow
http://www.mokaeff.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:25:09 pm

It's looking like Lion is one of the most stable OS upgrades Apple has done. I'm not hearing any reports of anything blowing up. Just the usual bugs here and there and of course program incompatibilities but absolutely nothing catastrophic.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:44:14 pm

You sound as if disappointed. They had had two leopards to learn. Furthermore, Lion was available for beta testing for half a year. So far I can say Davinci Resolve 8.0.2 and Avid Media Composer 5.5 are not compatible w/ 10.7. The same story with Nuke.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 20, 2011 at 11:24:15 pm

[Everest Mokaeff] "You sound as if disappointed"

Just surprised. It's good that the move seems very smooth.

Return to posts index

stephen knifton
on Jul 20, 2011 at 10:57:14 pm

i ran out and installed snow leopard when it came on the market, and a nearly lost my business. it was a bug ridden pos. given we now know that apple uses early adapters as unpaid beta testers, you'd have to be out of your mind to buy and install this. four versions from now ... maybe.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 20, 2011 at 11:27:49 pm

That's normally what I'd expect. It seems no reports of anything blowing up. I'm surprised. I keep thinking I'm looking in the wrong places or something's being suppressed. This is really looking like one of Apple's smoothest OS transitions.

Return to posts index

Everest Mokaeff
on Jul 21, 2011 at 12:30:52 am

Craig to uphold your premonitions:
I've strange glitch in establishing imap connection. Mail 4 did it without problem.
Pages worked incorrectly with copy/paste function. MS Office works fine - surprise!
After updating Pages glitch seems to vanish.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Safe enough
on Jul 21, 2011 at 9:27:05 pm

I've got Lion running on 2 macbook airs, a mac mini, and recently our 2010 iMac. Programs like 1Password need updates. Also, you'll have to upgrade to Parallels 6 for $40 to run any Windows stuff (unless you use some other program to do that). Our Synology NAS works fine, but some have noticed issues with NAS, according to TUAW. Surprisingly, it's been relatively painless for us, but I was beta testing since April, so it may be a little new to some people.

We're installing FCP7, Logic, and Aperture on the Mini to see if there are any major issues. I'll post back when I know more.

Disclaimer: If you read this and install it, please run time machine first so you don't lose anything.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Max Daniel
on Aug 10, 2011 at 7:24:27 am

I am using Lion and I have found no problem in this. If I have to choose between them then I will choose Lion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]