MAC OS X: Forum

My browser shortcuts (left corner) disappeared

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan LangdonMy browser shortcuts (left corner) disappeared
by on Jul 17, 2011 at 9:07:05 pm

I am running Mac OSX 10.6.8 on a MacMini 2010.

Recently something funny happened with my Desktop/browser windows, which is annoying: I cannot see the left side browser shortcuts that usually are there: the hard drive and external drive icons, the usual shortcut icons to Apps, Docs, Images and Movies, the Recently Used list, etc... I kknow that one can turn this off and on by clicking on the blue rounded rectangle in the upper right corner of any browser window, but this is not working here: I only get the browser window with the Icons/List/CoverFLow options, but I can't go quickly to the left-sided shortcuts.
This MIGHT have happened after a recent OSX automatic software update.

?

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: My browser shortcuts (left corner) disappeared
by on Jul 17, 2011 at 10:22:54 pm

Hi Alan,

This happens to me a lot too, but it's because I unintentionally perform the keyboard shortcut - depress the 'option' + 'Apple' + 's' keys simultaneously and it toggles the side bar in and out. I edit video using the Media 100 software and that keystroke combination is what is used to 'save all' so I often find myself automatically doing it when I'm not running the software. It took me a while to figure it out when it first happened to me.

HTH

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Alan LangdonRe: My browser shortcuts (left corner) disappeared
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 2:09:22 am

Wow. I knew it was something simple... thanks a bunch.
I use that one a lot too, as a "save as" command.
Curious me: how is Media 100 these days? I worked at a production house back in 2000 that used it but soon went over to Final Cut and Avid...

Many thanks!!!!

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: My browser shortcuts (left corner) disappeared
by on Jul 18, 2011 at 4:43:46 am

[Alan Langdon] "I use that one a lot too, as a "save as" command."

Yes, it's also the 'save as' command in Photoshop.

[Alan Langdon] "Curious me: how is Media 100 these days?"

I have to say, Media 100 is the most under-rated NLE out there today. My first experience with Media 100 was in 1995 and I've been using it exclusively ever since. I'm not alone in thinking it's definitely the most intuitive and easy to learn system, due in large part to it's simple interface which has changed very little since v1.0. - but that's not to say it doesn't offer much in the way of functionality or features. On the contrary. To borrow directly from the Media 100 website - "Import and export XML from Final Cut Pro v7, native REDCODE support with metadata editing, and support for AJA, Blackmagic Design, and Matrox video I/O hardware" - these are features worthy of any 'professional' system currently in use, don't you think? Admittedly, there was a time when the software almost disappeared, but that was the result of bad business practices by the developer who sold it to a company who decided it wasn't something they really wanted to continue supporting, and then in turn sold it to Boris FX who have since been developing and supporting it like never before. I could go on, but suffice to say, it all comes down to what tool you're comfortable using to get the job done - for me it's been a stable, professional editing tool for the past 16 years in the market I serve and I don't see myself abandoning it any time soon. With the current FCP-X debacle, anyone looking for a capable replacement tool should seriously look at Media 100 as an alternative to Premiere Pro or Avid.

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]