MAC OS X: Forum

Macbook Pro specs for editing?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach BlaesiMacbook Pro specs for editing?
by on Jun 27, 2011 at 1:13:45 am

I personally prefer to use desktops, but since I'm transferring to NYU this summer, I don't want to lug my desktop right away, and I also want a laptop for taking notes and the increased freedom and mobility. I'm planning to get a 15" Macbook Pro so I get a balance between size and power, but I'm not sure how crazy I should go when making the purchase. There are options for 2.0, 2.2, or 2.3 GHz; 4GB or 8GB RAM; 750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm, 128GB Solid State Drive, 256GB Solid State Drive, or 512GB Solid State Drive; glossy or antiglare screen; and so on.

I'm trying to stay as close to (or under) $2000 as possible (I should get a $200 student discount), and I'm not sure what specs to select.

I plan to use the laptop as my primary editing unit for FCP.

What would you guys recommend?

Return to posts index

Alexander KallasRe: Macbook Pro specs for editing?
by on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:09:07 am

Max out your budget, get the most power and RAM that you can afford, and check out the port availability for expansion. You will get more time and versatility from a 17" MBP.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Zach BlaesiRe: Macbook Pro specs for editing?
by on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:38:54 am

Can you explain to me the pros and cons of 15" vs. 17"? I'm worried about portability as a college student.

Return to posts index

Alexander KallasRe: Macbook Pro specs for editing?
by on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:33:22 pm

check the Apple website, the 17" has way more potential.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]