MAC OS X: Forum

Quicktime wont install on my MAC

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Romi Eli
Quicktime wont install on my MAC
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:06:07 am

Hi everyone,

I just deleted my old Quicktime so to install a brand new one. What I did was simply delete the Quicktime folder/icon from my Applications folder on my Mac. I then downloaded the latest version from the net (quicktime769Leopard) and installed it onto my HD. everything seemed to be going just fine until, after restarting, Quicktime app is nowhere to be found. I did this process several times and repaired my HD disc but it just seems to do nothing, QT player is just not installed anywhere.

Here are my Mac's tech details:
MacbookPro
Version 10.5.8
2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo

Any thoughts on whats wrong? I need my QT real soon.

Thanks
Romi

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
Re: Quicktime wont install on my MAC
on Jun 23, 2011 at 7:51:13 pm

Hi Romi,

Did you look in the "Utilities" folder inside your "Applications" folder on your hard drive? With the adoption of Quicktime X, Apple has changed the default install location for Quicktime 7 into the Utilities folder. I'd check there first.

Also, if you activate the Spotlight "Command + Space" and do a quick search for Quicktime, then you can tell it to "Show All" and a new finder window will pop up with all of the search results. If the Quicktime application shows up in those results, you can right click it and select "Reveal in Finder" to see where it was installed.

Good Luck!

joel
Corporate and Special Event Staging Services
http://www.pacificstaging.com

Return to posts index

Romi Eli
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:03:19 pm

Hey Joel,
Thanks, but I already did that. QT is nowhere to be found. its very strange given that the installing process completes itself normally. Any other thoughts?

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
on Jun 23, 2011 at 8:13:18 pm

Have you checked the Console to see if there are any relavent error messages?

joel

Return to posts index

Romi Eli
on Jun 23, 2011 at 9:36:07 pm

I just did. Searched for Quicktime in the search engine but found nothing relevant. This never happened to me before so seriously clueless here.... HELP! :)

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:22:55 pm

Hey Romi,
I'm sure you've thought of this already, but do you have access to another mac that you could copy the old application off of?

Or about downloading the installer for the older QT 7.6.6?

joel

joel

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:42:53 am

Romi,

For the future - don't delete Apple technologies (Safari, QuickTime, Mail, etc) - they are upgraded/handled by the OS itself. I don't think you've deleted QuickTime - merely the Application that resided in your Application directory. The underlying QuickTime libraries, codecs, etc should still be there.

I don't have a box with 10.5.8 installed - but here are a couple of ideas

First, there is a program called Pacifist that will allow you to go back to your OSX install disk and pull out QuickTime - then you can go and just do software updates.

Second idea, download the COMBO updater for 10.5.8 from here- this is every change since the 10.5.0 release - and may just reinstall QuickTime.

Last (worst) idea: Reinstall the OS - and do a migration of all your stuff back.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]