MAC OS X: Forum

copy paste sometimes?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Greene
copy paste sometimes?
on Apr 24, 2011 at 3:42:51 pm

From Vuescan scanning software I can't paste into photoshop or filemaker :( , but I can paste into Apple Mail.

Why might this be? I can copy from photoshop and paste to filemaker. I can copy from filemaker, and paste to photoshop and apple mail.

I cannot copy from apple mail and paste to photoshop or filemaker. Even if I copy from photoshop and paste to apple mail first. I can copy from apple mail and paste to apple mail.

All very strange.

Works the same using the copy/paste menu commands or command c/v.

Sometimes an image is visible in the clipboard, but will not paste to some apps. Sometimes the image is not visible in the clipboard and will paste anyway.

Using MacBookPro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / OS 10.5.8

Any suggestions? Is there some preference I can trash? I tried repairing disk permissions, but it had no effect on this issue. I am copy/pasting images, but this might apply to text as well.

Thanks!

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.brucealangreene.com

Return to posts index

Luke Woodward
Re: copy paste sometimes?
on May 11, 2011 at 4:37:55 pm

This post is a bit old, but does this happen in a different user account? If it does not it might be a plist file problem which is fixable.

Return to posts index

Bruce Greene
on May 11, 2011 at 4:41:42 pm

thanks for the tip. I will try a different user account, though I'll need to set up a new one.

I've noticed similar behavior on an old mac mini g4 yesterday. The mini has just been set up from scratch with OSx 10.4 install and updates. Could it be the Vuescan install has done something to the plist files? Or Filemaker? I have both these applications on each computer.

It's weird. I can see the copy in the clipboard, but can't paste. But if I open the image in Preview, then I can copy and paste...

Varicam/Steadicam Owner
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.brucealangreene.com

Return to posts index

Luke Woodward
on May 11, 2011 at 5:18:41 pm

Most of the time a plist file will be for a specific application only and wont be modified by app.

Testing in a new user will be utilizing the new user's plist files. Therefore, if the issue is not present in a new user, you are using the same applications, but different plist files (generally speaking). The problem is with the user account.

If the problem persists in the new user, by the same token, no manner of pulling out plist files will fix the problem and the issue has to be dealt with at an application level, usually involving a reinstall of the application, but not always.

If it works the same on two machines with two different versions of the OS, then it may well be the way the applications are written and not something that can be fixed with troubleshooting.

Good luck, and let me know how the testing goes. You can also try a safe boot to see if the problem persists there, but this may not allow certain components of the apps to run. Check out http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455 for instructions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]