MAC OS X: Forum

Core ix chips upgrade from i7?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Strader
Core ix chips upgrade from i7?
on Apr 22, 2011 at 10:36:38 pm

I made this post in the windows forum, but since Intel and Apple with each other I figured I'd ask youS guyS too. Plus I'm still in between purchases and deciding between a Macbook or Pavilion.

----
Just talked to a friend and he mentioned something about Intel and new Core iX chips? Asked me to ask around about them. Is this a totally new technology upgraded from i7? Or something inside i7?

Message Signature:
I don't have any charming or witty things to put in my signature. So as Peter Griffen says, "That's may mama!"

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: Core ix chips upgrade from i7?
on Apr 25, 2011 at 4:07:36 pm

"Core iX" is an expression relating to the current crop of Intel CPUs. It refers to Core i3, Core i5 and Core i7 processors. It just means Core i-something.

What has changed lately is the introduction of the second generation of Core CPUs, named Sandy Bridge. While these keep the Core iX naming scheme, their model numbers are in the 2000's, for example Core i7-2600. This architecture is way faster than its predecessor.

No Apple product uses these new CPUs. Maybe the next MacPro's will use them, maybe not. We'll just have to wait and see. These CPU's are shipping outside of Apple-land, though. Got a new laptop with one and it's screaming fast.

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]