MAC OS X: Forum

Desktop Layout with Multiple Displays and Resolutions

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Richard
Desktop Layout with Multiple Displays and Resolutions
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:47:19 pm

Hi Guys,
I just got a new external Cinema Display to use with my Macbook Pro while at my desk and I was wondering if there's any app out there that would allow me to save the layout of my desktop so when I switch back and forth between using the Cinema display and the macbook display my icons and dock correctly resize themselves. It's a pain to have to manually resize the icons and dock every time I want to plug/unplug my macbook and cinema display. I tried using SwitchResX, but had no luck. I'm not if I'm using it wrong or if it's just not able to do what I'm asking. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks!
-J

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: Desktop Layout with Multiple Displays and Resolutions
on Apr 5, 2011 at 11:47:57 pm

[Jared Richard] "ave the layout of my desktop so when I switch back and forth between using the Cinema display and the macbook display my icons and dock correctly resize themselves. It's a pain to have to manually resize the icons and dock every time I want to plug/unplug my macbook and cinema display."

No - I don't think there is a utility that will restore icon sizes or dock sizes. I've looked too. SwitchRes wills ave tehir position but I don't think it'll do anything beyond that.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Jerry Jorgenson
on Apr 6, 2011 at 1:50:53 pm

Likely the best way is to write an Applescript to perform the functions.

Return to posts index

Jared Richard
on Apr 6, 2011 at 5:57:15 pm

That's too bad. I'm really not savvy enough with AppleScript to figure out how to do it. When I hit record it doesn't seem to record any menu actions I make. I guess I'll have to manually change icon size, grid spacing, dock size, and window size every time I switch resolutions. Seems like there ought to be a more automated way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]