MAC OS X: Forum

Installing ram on new Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron darbyInstalling ram on new Mac Pro
by on Mar 31, 2011 at 4:44:49 pm

I got my new 8 core Mac Pro still in the box, plus 24 gigs of otherworld ram still in it's box

Is there any reason I need to turn on (for it's first time) my mac before I yank out the original ram and instal otherworld ram? (Yes I am getting rid of mac ram to keep all ram the same.)

Or can I replace old with new ram and then turn on for it's first boot up

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Installing ram on new Mac Pro
by on Apr 1, 2011 at 12:11:14 am

It never hurts to make sure a computer works before you open it and make changes.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Sacha ThomasRe: Installing ram on new Mac Pro
by on Apr 12, 2011 at 7:09:30 pm

I'm just wondering if installing new RAM affects the warranty. I would definitely boot it up with the factory RAM first to be sure it's all ok.
One of the IT folks at my work was concerned because I opened a brand new MacPro case just to take a peek at the build quality and to familiarize myself with it, claiming that I had violated the warranty. That doesn't sound right to me, but I wonder. Does anyone know out there?

Return to posts index

Jerry JorgensonRe: Installing ram on new Mac Pro
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 1:57:00 pm

If you install non-Apple RAM, sometimes they ask you to remove it before they troubleshoot.

Return to posts index

Craig AlanRe: Installing ram on new Mac Pro
by on Jun 4, 2011 at 7:57:29 pm

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd add: I keep old original apple ram in a safe place in a static free bag. If I get serious (possibly hardware related) problems like frequent kernal panics, I can trouble shoot by removing third party ram, replacing with original ram and see if all is well. I can also bring Mac in for repairs this way. Just a good thing to keep.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]