MAC OS X: Forum

Snow Leopard - World of Hurt?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn MarshallSnow Leopard - World of Hurt?
by on Mar 26, 2011 at 2:45:34 am

Hi:

I've been thinking about updating the OS on my 2008 Mac Pro from 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard, but I'm somewhat hesitant due to all the reports of problems I've read. I primarily run AE CS4 and CS5, Cinema 4D R12, Lightwave 9.6 and the latest version of Final Cut Studio, whatever that is.

I have no super-pressing reason to upgrade, which is why I've waited so long. I'd like to check out the App Store, but that requires Snow Leopard. I also wanted to run a demo of Maya, but you need Snow Leopard for that too. I don't HAVE to run either, but it would be nice to.

If I do upgrade I was going to clone my current system drive, then install Snow Leopard. I'd rather not start with a clean install since I have a lot of applications and plugins I'd have to reinstall, but I'd consider doing that if it assured smoother operation in the future.

Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Return to posts index

Steve ModicaRe: Snow Leopard - World of Hurt?
by on Mar 26, 2011 at 12:25:20 pm

I can't guarantee you won't see any problems, but we've gotten very few problem reports from customers. My subjective sense is that 10.6 (at least at the current level) is more robust than 10.5.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Snow Leopard - World of Hurt?
by on Mar 27, 2011 at 11:56:25 pm

I'm always an early adopter, but Snow Leopard has been out a good long while now and most of the kinks are out of it. We run AE4, AE5, and all other applications with it with no problems.

It's not like you're upgrading to Vista or something like that. Why not just clone your system drive to an external drive if you have one laying around, then upgrade it to Snow Leopard. This way, you can skip the clean install and just upgrade. If you experience problems, you can always do a clean install and recover everything from the cloned external drive. Everybody wins.

Return to posts index

Jerry JorgensonRe: Snow Leopard - World of Hurt?
by on Mar 28, 2011 at 12:48:18 pm

Upgrading OS X Server from Leopard to Snow Leopard is a pain, but just Leopard to Snow Leopard hasn't posed any problems for me. I'm not looking forward to Lion though.

Return to posts index

Shawn MarshallRe: Snow Leopard - World of Hurt?
by on Mar 29, 2011 at 8:11:16 am

Hi:

Thanks for the replies; I appreciate them. I'll probably try cloning my system drive first, upgrade it to Snow Leopard and see how things behave. If I have problems I'll restore from my cloned Leopard drive.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Craig AlanRe: Snow Leopard - World of Hurt?
by on Apr 13, 2011 at 1:55:51 am

Having a clone of your system is always a good idea. But to move to snow i would do it the other way. Do a fresh install on an external drive. Do fresh installs of all your apps. Move over your docs. and email etc. And test it out. When your happy, clone it over to your current system drive. Most of the FCP and media pros rec. a clean install when moving to a new OS or new version of pro apps.

check this out

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/reinstall_osx_fcs_part_1_saraceno.html

read through all 3 parts.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]