MAC OS X: Forum

startup options not available

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Warnerstartup options not available
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 3:38:54 pm

I wanted to do a DiskWarrior rebuild on my system drive last night so I tried holding down the option key on reboot to get to my startup manager (2010 Mac Pro 12-core). I intended on booting off a system drive clone. All I got was a white screen stall. I had to power it off and reboot. After a little research it looked like somehow I had turned on the firmware password in the past which causes all of the startup shortcuts to be blocked. One of the solutions I found was to put in my OSX install disk and look for the utilities menu where you could reset the firmware password. I clicked through the install dialogue until I got to what looked like the final "are you sure you want to do this" box but still didn't find the utilities menu.

Can anyone offer any help?

thanks
Lee

Return to posts index

Jeff GreenbergRe: startup options not available
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:34:16 pm

It should be at the first screen on an OSX installer disks - the menu choice for utilities.

There's also a brute force method of removing a stick of ram, and resetting the PRAM - easy to do on a MacPro, harder on everything else...

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Lee WarnerRe: startup options not available
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:43:14 pm

Thanks Jeff,

The only extra button on my install disks is for optional installs like Quicktime 7. I can't find anything that refers to utilities like the firmware password reset. But if you say it should be there, I'll take another look tonight.

Lee

Return to posts index

by on Mar 24, 2011 at 4:51:31 pm

One note - it's not a button - it's a menu

Best,

Jeff G

------------
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com

Return to posts index

by on Mar 24, 2011 at 5:25:36 pm

ooops! Menu....That may be the magic word. So when I load my install disk, unique options appear in the menu bar? I was looking for something to click in the installer dialogue box.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2011 at 2:47:54 am

Well I put my install disc in, clicked the option to install OS and the first dialogue box had an Utilities button on it. Pressing it got a screen that said that if I wanted to restore from Time Machine, or other utility functions, click the restart button and I should be presented with all the options on reboot. All I got was Kernel Panic. In fact I had to manually eject the disc in order to reboot. Several more tries got the same thing.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2011 at 3:39:32 am

I found some info that suggested disconnecting all peripherals and trying to reboot. Lo and behold it worked. I was able to reset the firmware password.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 25, 2011 at 10:14:46 am

Sure - now that I'm awake, you've already solved it. :D

Congratulations!

Best,

Jeff G

------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]