MAC OS X: Forum

Eject locking up

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent StraderEject locking up
by on Mar 23, 2011 at 7:58:01 pm

My Mac will not eject the upper disk when I click the eject button on the keyboard, or when I click the eject button on the bar at the top of the screen.

And as I'm typing this I just noticed that eject icon has vanished but the magnify glass is still up there along with all the other search options.

Has this happened to anybody else and if so what was the solution?

I've restarted the mac, but that did nothing.

When I click on Disk Utilities that gives me the spinning pinwheel instead of opening up.

Update as I'm typing:
Utilities opened up and I highlighted both drives.

The lower one opened up.

The upper one caused the Utilities app to go into the spinning wheel again when I clicked "open."

OS 10.5.8

Message Signature:
I don't have any charming or witty things to put in my signature. So as Peter Griffen says, "That's may mama!"

Return to posts index

Jeff GreenbergRe: Eject locking up
by on Mar 23, 2011 at 9:20:22 pm

I'll take it that you have some disk stuck in the top drive?

Reboot the mac. Hold down the mouse. This sends an eject signal. If not? you're going to have to either attempt to fix it or get a repair shop involved.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
Come See me speak at NAB!
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe BoulayRe: Eject locking up
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 3:15:13 pm

If Jeff's tip of booting while holding down the mouse button doesn't work, you're going to have to channel your inner McGuiver. If you slide down the faceplate to see the front of the actual drive, you may be lucky enough to find a pinhole below the disc tray. Apple use more than one optical drive model in their desktops, so you may or may not have one on yours. If you have a pinhole, stick a paper clip in there and it'll mechanically push out the tray.

If you don't have a pinhole, you may be able to see where the drive's Eject button used to be before it was ripped off to fit inside the case, on the lower right of the drive's front panel. This is usually hidden just behind the computer's case. If you see that, there may be a button stub hidden in there. I've managed to reach it with a bent paper clip when in a situation like yours and the drive opened up immediately. Some other drives I've seen in Macs still have a complete eject button. Basically, you want direct access to the drive's controls, as it's software that is preventing the drive from opening right now. Some drives have neither of these two lifesavers. In that case, you could take the drive out of the case and try to figure something else out, or take your machine down to the shop to get a CD out of the tray.

Good luck!

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Vincent StraderRe: Eject locking up
by on Mar 24, 2011 at 10:30:46 pm

Thanks for both responses. I'll book mark this for future reference.

I got lucky. After making this post I did some other things online. Not meaning to wait on the disk I just got distracted. Then all the sudden the drive start reving like when a DVD is in it's burn mode. So instead of turning my computer off I just left it on over night. I came back in this morning and it was ejected.

I threw the disk away and all is good again.

Thanks again,
Vinnie

Message Signature:
I don't have any charming or witty things to put in my signature. So as Peter Griffen says, "That's may mama!"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]