MAC OS X: Forum

Camera Media wrangling: multiple copies & verification

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob ColeCamera Media wrangling: multiple copies & verification
by on Mar 17, 2011 at 6:36:14 pm

When shooting tapeless, it is highly recommended to make multiple copies of files, on separate hard drives.

I have several hard drives, both USB and FW, that I can connect to my MacBook Pro at the same time. It would be easier for me to make two copies at the same time, to two separate external drives, rather than waiting for one copy to finish before starting another.

Is there anything wrong with this? I know it probably doesn't save computer time, but it would save me time, because doing this would enable me to get back to the job of shooting.

I also wonder whether there is any built-in verify process within the Mac OSX (Snow Leopard).

Thanks!

Bob C

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas QuinlanRe: Camera Media wrangling: multiple copies & verification
by on Mar 17, 2011 at 6:49:06 pm

There's software out there that does everything you just mentioned - multiple copies to multiple locations, plus verification, and they're cheap.

Take a look at Shotput Pro from Imagine Products:

http://www.imagineproducts.com/

There's also VideoToolShed Offloader:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/15/offloader/3

For RED media, a very popular one is R3D Data Manager:

http://www.r3ddata.com/

With tapeless media, it's definitely crucial to verify it when transferring to devices. With this software, you can compare by file sizes/dates/names, and also do byte by byte comparisons to ensure everything made it over safely. There's other software out there for sure, but don't rely on drag & drop in Finder if you care about your media being safe, especially if you have to erase and reuse your cards.

Return to posts index

Bob ColeRe: Camera Media wrangling: multiple copies & verification
by on Mar 17, 2011 at 7:21:31 pm

Does the R3D software handle other file formats?

One interesting point in the R3D webpage: "Make sure that the data from your RED MEDIA is truly unique, and if not, make it unique!"

I've already run into this. When I was editing footage from several different GoPro cameras, each of which generated the same filenames, I discovered that one camera's footage had been overwritten by another's, because both cameras had the same filename structure. (Thankfully, the SD cards weren't overwritten before I discovered the error!)

Which of these titles, if any, handles this issue for footage from a variety of sources? (I use AVCHD, MP4, XDCAM, etc.)

Thanks again. Very interesting. This will give me a lot more confidence going forward. (always a dangerous thing...)

Bob C.

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas QuinlanRe: Camera Media wrangling: multiple copies & verification
by on Mar 17, 2011 at 8:19:22 pm

Shotput Pro will do any digital media card, since it's just pulling everything off in an unaltered state. It lets you choose between a file size comparison, which is fast, or a byte for byte comparison, which takes longer but is much safer.

There are other products out there, this is just an example of one that I've personally used (I have no affiliation with Imagine Products).

Tapeless workflow can be dangerous without a proper transfer solution, and major problems with drag and drop happen way more often than you might think. For how inexpensive this kind of software is, it's worth the peace of mind.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]