MAC OS X: Forum

Internal Drive Space

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stef Allan
Internal Drive Space
on Mar 9, 2011 at 9:47:59 pm

Hello,

I'm sorry if this is a redundant post but I did a couple searches and couldn't quite find an equivalent question. Here's my issue:

I was lazy and put a ton of RAW image files, video clips, and music on my MacBook Pro's internal drive (500GB drive). The drive got to be over 90% full (less than 20GB available). I know this is a no-no on a startup drive. What I've heard is that there is something to do with where the computer stores the data as it gets more and more full. I have now moved a lot of the data to external drives and the drive is only a little more than 70% full. I'm still working to eliminate as much other stuff from the internal drive as possible. I've heard 50% full is good.

Anyway: if the actual location on the computer is the important thing about performance issues when the startup drive is full, is there a utility that I can use to rearrange the data on my drive?

Is this defragmenting? I know I did that on an old Dell laptop I used years back.

Will I be okay now that I've just moved a bunch of the media to externals?

Thanks,
Stef

Return to posts index

Jerry Jorgenson
Re: Internal Drive Space
on Mar 10, 2011 at 1:24:30 pm

- What I've heard is that there is something to do with where the computer stores the data

Unix systems guarantee that the first write will be in a contiguous area. If you don't have enough free space the filesystem will either have to move files around or (worse) give a filesystem full error. Generally as long as there is 15% free it's not going to be a problem.

- is there a utility that I can use to rearrange the data on my drive?

There are several:

Finder (GUI)
tar (command line)
mv (command line)

- Is this defragmenting?

No. Defragmenting is different. There are utilities that can defragment a Mac, but they seldom need to be used because of the way Unix filesystems operate.

- Will I be okay now that I've just moved a bunch of the media to externals?

Yes.

Return to posts index

Stef Allan
Re: Internal Drive Space
on Mar 10, 2011 at 4:06:20 pm

Thank you,
Stef

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]