Craig Alanhow to end the chaos
by on Feb 19, 2011 at 6:22:44 pm

Ok here’s my mess:
a win xp at work
a macbook pro os x 10.5.8 at work,
a macbook pro os x 10.5.8 at home,
transport files with a USB drive.

all document files. No media.
Everything fits easily on the 4 GB flash drive.
All four drives have some files the others do not.
All four drives have different versions of the same files. All four drives have old back-upped folders.

First: how do I get one clean folder of nothing but the latest version of each file?

I could drag files from each sub-folder into a common folder and deal with the error messages about older and newer files of the same name --

Is there an easier, much quicker, and safer way?

Second, once this is done:
is dropbox the best solution to keep all four drives in sync from now on?
Any suggested workflow or experience with the same need is welcome.

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-LaingRe: how to end the chaos
by on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:28:35 pm

I've had to deal with stuff like this, and drop box is a great way of dOing it, one account gets synced across all computers. Even better is mobile me, which will sync email inboxs, calendars, settings, Internet bookmarks, and gives y

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:29:59 pm

(sorry hit button on phone) to continue:
...gives you 20GB disk like dropbox but 20GB rather than 2GB. It's also faster than drop box, and better organised I think.

Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Tom BucknallRe: how to end the chaos
by on Feb 19, 2011 at 10:58:47 pm

Have you ever used MobileMe?

I have accounts with both MobileMe and Dropbox, and Dropbox without doubt wipes the floor with MobileMe.

Yes MobileMe is good for keeping emails, contacts and calendars in sync but for files, nothing I've used compares to how well DropBox does it.

I use it across 3 macs and it works great. The ability to choose which folders to sync, LAN syncing, and shared folders makes MobileMe pale in comparison.

I think you can guess by now what my suggestion is.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 19, 2011 at 11:10:41 pm

Being an Apple product pro gets me a free me subscription, so I also use both, and the iDisk and drop box seem to be fairly similar in speed.... oh well if the consensus favours drop box and 2GB is good enough then it would appear to be the tool of choice. Good luck!

Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.

Return to posts index

Craig AlanThanks all, but...
by on Feb 20, 2011 at 3:22:16 am

How do i get all these files in sync before setting up the drop box?

Anything easier than manually going through them and keeping the last version of each?

These are small files but 1000s of them.

Return to posts index

Bryce WaldenRe: Thanks all, but...
by on Apr 4, 2011 at 8:48:13 pm

Take a look at Chronosync from Econ.
http://www.econtechnologies.com/
It will compare any two containers (folders, discs) at a time. You can have both containers update or only one. You could set up an empty container - a file folder - and do one-way synchs into it. Repeat for each original folder you have. You can do trial synchs to see what it will do before committing. You have an option to archive files replaced by newer ones, just in case. I've been using this software for years and it has performed very well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]