MAC OS X: Forum

Apple Qmaster and 2 Mac Pros

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon MorrisApple Qmaster and 2 Mac Pros
by on Feb 15, 2011 at 7:44:28 pm

We have 2 Mac Pro's (one Quad-core 2010 and one Quad-core 2008, both with Final Cut Studio 3 and Snow Leopard).
We want to setup 2 ways to use Compressor. One way so it's Qmaster just for one computer in case we don't want to hog the other computer's cores. And another way to cluster both computers.

So one way to use both computers to compress, and one way to use just one computer to compress.

They are connected via ethernet to a normal T2 network.
Would it help to directly connect the computers via ethernet?
Can I connect one ethernet port to the network and the 2nd ethernet port to other mac for qmaster.
Or is that useless?

Brandon Morris
http://www.brandonmorris.com

Canon T2i
13" Macbook Pro (Mid 09) 8GB RAM 10.6

Return to posts index

Chris WigglesRe: Apple Qmaster and 2 Mac Pros
by on Mar 4, 2011 at 6:27:51 am

You just need to connect them to the same network, hopefully on a fast switch. You could connect them via the 2-port switch on the mac if you want, but then I am pretty sure you have to have the mac on to have network on the other computer. Seems silly, I would ignore the dual ethernet ports and simply use a gigabit switch and connect both computers to that, per normal networking practice.

Then you can set up your cluster. When you use compressor, you can just select local computer, or the cluster of both once you have set that up, depending on what you want to do.

Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

Brandon MorrisRe: Apple Qmaster and 2 Mac Pros
by on Mar 8, 2011 at 3:16:34 pm

I have them directly connected via ethernet. And they each have another ethernet running to the wall for internet.
The network in the wall is pretty large and I'm not sure if it would be fast enough?

How do I setup the joint cluster for both?

Brandon Morris
http://www.brandonmorris.com

Canon T2i
13" Macbook Pro (Mid 09) 8GB RAM 10.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]