MAC OS X: Forum

Can't Burn DVD's At All

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shane McGee
Can't Burn DVD's At All
on Feb 9, 2011 at 11:56:53 pm

So I have a 3 year old MacBook Pro and I've never really tried to burn DVD's before until recently. Whenever i try to burn them, regardless of what program (DVD Studio Pro, random third party apps, etc) it wont work.

Usually it comes up with an unnamed error or mysteriously just stops spinning the disk and says its still working...I know its not because ive tested it out over night before and it still just sits there stuck.

A lot of disks, wether its CD or DVD media are rejected by the drive also. It DOES play cd's and DVD's fine though.

The computer has been more sluggish over the past few months, especially with final cut studio and the like, but still works just fine and i attribute that perceived sluggishness to the fact its fairly old and not to some massive problem.

I take care if it and always keep it up to date with software updates etc.

Anyway, I was wondering what you guys thought about this and if you had any suggestions to try?

I'd rather not but would something like archiving and installing the OS again be something to try?

thanks for any help.

15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz
2GB RAM / 120GB HD

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Can't Burn DVD's At All
on Feb 10, 2011 at 1:23:16 am

Could be a bad optical drive but it could just be some messed up software.

I recommend making an appointment at your closest apple store and have them check it out.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Shane McGee
on Feb 10, 2011 at 2:20:57 am

I remember a while back when my graphics/logic board died and I got i fixed at the apple store the guy mentioned something about my opitcal drive...said something about $200 to fix it if i wanted and thats kinda when i stopped listening to him cuz as far as i knew it worked fine cuz i watch dvds etc on it all the time....

2GB RAM / 120GB HD

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 10, 2011 at 3:12:00 am

[Shane McGee] "...said something about $200 to fix it if i wanted and thats kinda when i stopped listening to him"

So you were told previously that your optical drive had an issue yet you chose to ignore that and post on here.

I hope when the auto mechanic talks you choose to listen, I'm sure you would enjoy having a tire or something fall off while driving.

Return to posts index

Shane McGee
on Feb 10, 2011 at 3:38:08 am

It DID work back then...I had burned one or two dvds and a fair amount of CD's, but that was a long while ago.

The guy was talking about some kind of preventative thing for a known issue with them... This was on topic because I had just been arguing with them for a few days to replace my motherboard for free because of the KNOWN problem that had its own recall from Nvidia regarding my graphics in my Macbook Pro. They finally believed me and looked at the webpage regarding it on the apple website, which they refused to do. It was weird because its not like its some random web forum, it was the actual APPLE.com website, but i guess they werent allowed to reference or take into account anything on it as far as that kind of thing goes.

2GB RAM / 120GB HD

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 10, 2011 at 3:41:30 am

[Shane McGee] "The guy was talking about some kind of preventative thing"

So that means its ok to ignore. People talk about "preventative things" for a reason. To PREVENT things form happening.

Return to posts index

Jerry Jorgenson
on Feb 10, 2011 at 1:24:09 am

To get rid of the sluggishness you typically use one of the many disk cleaning programs that are out there such as CleanMyMac http://macpaw.com/. These are especially good if you've loaded up your filesystem to over 85% full. (Unix filesystems start slowing down when the drive gets too full).

A reinstall is only necessary if something is actually corrupted. Because OS X uses a journaled filesystem, they is a very rare event.

If you open console.app (found in applications under the utilities folder) and select "all messages" before you try burning, you might get some additional information about why you can't burn.

Return to posts index

Shane McGee
on Apr 24, 2011 at 6:03:41 am

Well, i've been meaning to post back to this thread for a while now in case someone searches for the same problem I had...

After originally trying to clean my original drive and trying multiple replacement drives that didnt work, i took my original superdrive out my macbook pro, opened the top off and cleaned the laser lens thing with a q-tip again, but this time for a long time with some rubbing alcohol/nail polish remover stuff...i dont know if this is a really bad idea by pro tech standards, but i've got to admit, i popped it all back in, and it worked!

The damn thing burned like it was brand new, i couldnt believe it. It still works too...So if you are at wits end, give it a try.

Hope this suggestion helps someone else out sometime.

http://elevatevisuals.com

4GB RAM / 120GB HD
1TB G-RAID
Final Cut Studio 2
http://elevatevisuals.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]