MAC OS X: Forum

other computer doesn't always show up in network...

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tad newberry
other computer doesn't always show up in network...
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:01:42 pm

very strange. i mostly work on a Mac, but do DVD copies on my PC. they are networked via ethernet cable and router, but much of the time my PC will not show up in the Mac Finder window under "SHARED". and then all of a sudden it will sometimes show up. is there any way to have it show more quickly or more consistently?? i've tried restarting both computers, with no dice this morning. but last night, it was showing up and i could transfer files...

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

Chris Gordon
Re: other computer doesn't always show up in network...
on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:42:25 pm

This is all part of SMB/CIFS -- a "native" part of Windows and implemented via Samba on OX X. You're using a Workgroup setup (if you were using something else you'd know as you would have had to set it up). Some things you want to verify/check:

• Make sure your machines are on the same IP network -- check to make sure the netmask is the same on both and they are on the same network. If you post the IP and Netmask from each machine, we can help more.

• Make sure they are both set to the same work group. In OS X this is set in System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> WINS. Set the Workgroup item there. This seems to get moved around on Windows some, but on XP you could right click on "MY Computer" -> Properties and set it in there (or something like that -- don't have a windows machine in front of me).

• SMB/CIFS can be picky about hostnames and due to old limitations from NetBIOS only liked names 8 Characters or shorter. I doubt this is a problem, but if nothing else works...

• Hope this helps. If it doesn't, please post more details of your setup (addresses, netmasks, exactly what is plugged in where on the router). From windows, the output of "ipconfig /all" and on OS X the output of "ifconfig -a" and "netstat -rn" would be useful.

Return to posts index

tad newberry
    Re: other computer doesn't always show up in network...
    on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:46:03 pm

thanks for the quick reply and informative post. oddly enough, almost as soon as i got done writing my OP, there was PC, in the SHARED place in Finder. go figure...

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
    2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
    6GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
    ...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
    (then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]