MAC OS X: Forum

Connectivity problem from 2 PCs to my IMac and Router

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barry Lee
Connectivity problem from 2 PCs to my IMac and Router
on Feb 5, 2011 at 6:38:12 pm

I know this is a long explanation but I’m trying to lay the problem out clearly.

-I have been accessing the internet wirelessly with my iMAC desktop and two PCs in my home for about a year now, via a cable company modem and an Apple AirPort router.

-A recent storm was the culprit in causing me to lose the internet by playing havoc with the modem through the cable company’s downed lines, et al.

-Since then, the modem (a Motorola SURFboard) has been reset by the cable company and confirmed by the cable company to be operating perfectly.

-The AirPort (Version 7.5.2) is also operating correctly.

Here is the problem:
Both my PCs (one with a wireless card and the other with a Netgear usb device are showing strong signals but no connectivity. For some reason unbeknownst to me, they are not acquiring the IP address of the iMac and Router serving the network. My connection to the internet from the iMac is working flawlessly, but the PCs are not recognizing it.

What can I do to make this work?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Connectivity problem from 2 PCs to my IMac and Router
on Feb 6, 2011 at 9:47:01 pm

Do any of the computers connect to the internet when directly connected to the cable modem via Ethernet?

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Barry Lee
on Feb 7, 2011 at 3:39:45 am

Only the iMac connects to the internet via the modem and wireless router. The two PCs are supposed to connect through the router. Both PCs show a strong signal but no connectivity; they do not acquire the IP address that will make them connect.

Return to posts index

Barry Lee
on Feb 7, 2011 at 3:42:44 am

Only the iMac connects to the internet via the modem and wireless router. The two PCs are supposed to connect but show only a strong signal but no connectivity. It shows that they are not picking up the IP address.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 7, 2011 at 7:40:55 am

I'm not asking about the wireless router. For what I'm asking disconnect it and set it aside.

Do the computers connect to the internet when connected directly to the cable modem via a ethernet cable?

Return to posts index

Barry Lee
on Feb 7, 2011 at 1:50:18 pm

That was a very good question. I connected the cable directly to one of the PCs and received the same error message that it was unable to locate the IP address. What does that tell you?

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 7, 2011 at 2:41:56 pm

If you still cannot connect when plugged in directly the it is most likely not the wireless router.

It is one of 3 things a bad Ethernet cable, a problem with the cable modem, or a problem with the Internet provider.

Try it again directly connected but with a different Ethernet cable if it still does not work then call your Internet provider and tell them they were wrong as you still cannot get on the Internet when directly connected to the cable modem.

Return to posts index

Barry Lee
on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:00:49 pm

I’ve been online all this time on the iMac through the router. However, I disconnected the Ethernet cable from the wireless router and went directly from the cable company modem to the iMac computer to test the cable. It didn't work.

Just to confirm that the cable was at fault, I rebooted the modem. Then the connection to the internet was successful.

I then unplugged the Ethernet cable from my iMac and plugged it into each of the PCs and tried to get online. I couldn't.

Does this still indicate that the Ethernet cable is at fault?

I'm typing you this message online, on my iMac, with the Ethernet cable hooked up directly from the modem.

With this in mind, It's hard for me to understand how the Ethernet cable or the modem could be at fault, but I will go out and purchase an Ethernet cable if you still feel that it's the culprit.

I appreciate your patience in this and will do whatever is necessary to get this problem solved.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:10:14 pm

[Barry Lee] "I’ve been online all this time on the iMac through the router"

REALLY, you should have said that in your first post.

At this point, you should really have someone come look at it in person. Trouble shooting something like that over the internet is extremely hard, especially when I have to drag info out that should have been included original post.

Again have someone come look at it in person.

Return to posts index

Barry Lee
on Feb 7, 2011 at 5:17:55 pm

I was very clear about this from the first line of my very first post. However, I do thank you very much for your time and will do what you suggest. I'm thinking that with everything that has been going on, that the router might be the problem and merely operating as a conduit rather than functioning as a router, if that makes any sense. Again, thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

Jerry Jorgenson
on Feb 7, 2011 at 7:53:45 pm

The first thing to find out is if you can get from the iMac to the PCs. Open a terminal window and do a traceroute. It should look something like this:

(nekokun is a system on the local network)

$ traceroute nekokun
traceroute to nekokun.j3issint.com (192.168.1.113), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
1 nekokun.j3issint.com (192.168.1.113) 0.864 ms 0.285 ms 0.196 ms
$

If you can't get there, then there may be something wrong with the PC network cards or routing on the PCs. You'll have to use the network control panel to figure out what.

If that works try pinging something outside the network from the PC also try pinging your iMac.

$ ping http://www.creativecow.com
PING http://www.creativecow.com (64.71.189.236): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 64.71.189.236: icmp_seq=0 ttl=54 time=54.098 ms
64 bytes from 64.71.189.236: icmp_seq=1 ttl=54 time=53.943 ms
64 bytes from 64.71.189.236: icmp_seq=2 ttl=54 time=53.976 ms

If that doesn't work, check the firewall settings (if any) on the router.

Return to posts index

Barry Lee
on Feb 7, 2011 at 8:44:19 pm

A tech guy I'm not. That explanation is way over my head and I wouldn't know where to start.

Return to posts index

Joe White
on Feb 9, 2011 at 2:38:57 am

Most cable modems authorize by the MAC address it is connected to. Here are the steps to troubleshoot:

1: Connect directly from the iMac to the cable modem with your ethernet cable.
2: Restart the cable modem
3: Check and see if you can connect to the internet
4: If yes, connect to one of the PC's and restart the cable modem
5: If you can connect to the net then, the weather may have damaged your AirPort router. You can try resetting it to factory defaults by pressing in the reset button on the back and holding it until the status light flashes. You can also select "Reset to Factory Defaults" from the AirPort Utility.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Barry Lee
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:04:56 pm

Joe, Maybe I should have known it, but if you read the string of comments to me, no one told me to reset the modem each time I switched the Ethernet cable to a new device when checking to first see if the cable was the culprit. Knowing that now, and checking out everything in every possible scenario, including the advice you just gave me to restore the defaults on the router, I have arrived at the conclusion that the fault definitely lies with the router. I appreciate your assistance. Your post to me confirmed that it was in fact the router and I will be going down to Apple to see if they'll make good on a replacement. Have a good day. Barry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]