MAC OS X: Forum

time machine won't backup new replacement drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott Pattersontime machine won't backup new replacement drive
by on Jan 29, 2011 at 9:26:55 pm

Had a external disk fail. Got a new one. Took the most recent version of the old disk from Time Machine folder and dropped it on the new external disk. It copied over fine, but now when I try to do a system backup, the TM can't finish its backup of the new drive.
Did I do something wrong. Any ideas on a fix?
scot

Return to posts index

Jeff GreenbergRe: time machine won't backup new replacement drive
by on Jan 30, 2011 at 10:40:00 pm

I'm unclear. Time machine can only backup your main drive/partition.

It sounds like you were booting from an external drive, using time machine and the external drive (boot) failed?
To restore a time machine backup, you install the OS and then you have a choice to restore from Time machine.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: time machine won't backup new replacement drive
by on Jan 30, 2011 at 10:54:11 pm

Sounds like your TM isn't big enough. By dragging the folder out of the TM backup, you've forced TM to treat the copied folder as a brand new drive, on top of the backup that you've already got of the dead drive - doubling the amount of TM space needed for the same data. If you're certain you've got all your files back, format your TM drive and start it as brand new backup. OR - get yourself a new TM drive that's much bigger and store the old TM drive labeled neatly with today's date. I recommend the latter as you'll always be able to return to this date with your data.

Drives die, so extra backups of old data is never a bad thing.

Return to posts index

scott PattersonRe: time machine won't backup new replacement drive
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 11:24:58 pm

thanks, but there is enough room. i renamed the new drive the same as the dead one, and you'd like to think TM would just function as if the new drive was the old. And it comes close, it backs up the drive and just as its finishing it reads an error about not being able to finish.
Guess i shouldn't have used the Finder to drag and drop onto the new hard drive. not clear on how to restore properly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]