MAC OS X: Forum

Which Mac Pro?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck ObernesserWhich Mac Pro?
by on Jan 26, 2011 at 1:33:05 pm

Hello to all,
I posted this first in the "Which computer should I Buy?" but thought I might get help from here as well. I am getting ready to purchase a new mac. I am on an old dual core G5 with 6gb of ram and 2.0 ghz processor. I am looking to upgrade and I want to know which way would be best. The type of work I do is video editing for a tv show, some HD editing, I use lightwave for 3d modeling and I am leaning towards using CS5 for software when I get this. I also do website dev along with a lot of video compression. My question is should I go with an 8 core mac pro and save some cash or should i go with the new 12 cores? Is the 12 core more than i need? I am coming from an older model and so I feel the 8 core will make a huge difference but will the 12 core help even more? I plan like I said to upgrade to cs5, along with the new lightwave as well. So any help will be very much appreciated!

Thanks;
Chuck
http://www.cnyxposed.com

Return to posts index

Fred JodryRe: Which Mac Pro?
by on Jan 26, 2011 at 8:34:45 pm

Since you are doing compressing, uncompression/ extraction, and, other renders and conversions endlessly, the data you are making straddles across hard drive sectors just endlessly much of the time and changes size alot. You are a prime candidate to install a nice hard drives RAID card in your new computer and drop a good SSD not magnetic hard drive on every "hook" you can. (Boot drive by itself, SSD work drives on the RAID). Since the size of these drives at affordable cash is small, you`ll need a backup(, restore) set of hardware too. It`s the compression. Save money for unexpected deluxe software too. More fast cores (12 not 8) is more fast cores but what I just mentioned is needed more.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Which Mac Pro?
by on Jan 28, 2011 at 12:36:10 am

You'd love the 8 core or 12 coming from a G5. I think the 8 is actually faster for specific tasks as it's clocked higher, but the 12 will be better for rendering CS5 and Lightwave 10 (64 bit).
While SSD's in a RAID would be nice, if money is a consideration look into a ProAvio 8 drive enclosure and an ATTO R380 - you can have 16TB's in RAID 5 for 3k plus the cost of the MAC. I do recommend an SSD for the OS drive. It's a bit speedier opening and running apps. I have a 12 core and an older 8 core. The 12 is fast with SSD and RAID for video editing/storage, but the 8 is still rocking on Final Cut and CS5.

Just don't get a Highpoint RAID card.

What's your budget?

Return to posts index

Chuck ObernesserRe: Which Mac Pro?
by on Jan 31, 2011 at 3:40:38 pm

Thanks to both of you for the guidance. Right now budget-wise we are unsure. Things are picking up pretty quick so were waiting till contracts are signed. But we believe we are in need of two mac pros at this time. My partner is the graphic designer and web as well. So I feel 8-core for him maybe and myself the 12. But if I can get by with the 8 core and get speed that will be great because the compressing right now on the dual core I have takes all day. That's why I want CS5 because of the media encoder and plus the pipeline for photoshop to AE to premiere. Were really in need of speed because we are being asked to edit another show for a client.
What I was surprised about was how you both pushed the SSD. I looked at some this weekend and my concern is that they are too small to handle the amount of video I am using. I know I could buy multiple but that is something I don't feel we will have the cash for after I upgrade the computer, software and what else will probably come up as a surprise. So thanks for all you help I will save these comments for later when cash builds up again!

Chuck
http://www.cnyxposed.com

Return to posts index

Chuck ObernesserRe: Which Mac Pro...Follow up question.
by on Feb 6, 2011 at 3:29:19 am

After all that one last question. I am leaning towards the 8-core. Is it worth getting an 8 core Nehalem or go the little x-tra and get the 8 core westmere?

Chuck

Return to posts index

Fred JodryRe: Which Mac Pro...Follow up question.
by on Feb 6, 2011 at 4:48:00 am

Chuck, you buy your electricity from the Niagara Falls Project where the ever- increasing electricity prices are like Yeecheeeeecheahowwwwwwwwwwie! A little careful picking of processors and other equipment will keep you from running across electric bills that are unswallowable. Ask as a Guest or join, http://WWW.CPU-WORLD.COM. They`ll happily provide you with an answer, whether you look it up in their tables or ask them, on your Nehalem or Westmere or other processor or processors. Also you might ask a couple of other local to you successful businesses like, Pat McGowan`s InMotionDigitalTV what tunes them up. I already said that I consider SSD RAID work drives and unplanned custom software (and hardware) to be your real needs. I don`t know the finest details of processors but do know that,
1. Landing a gourmet motherboard that has adjustable (downward) processor core multiplier, adjustable (upward) frequency bus, and adjustable (downward) processor core voltage, with an onboard 3 sockets audio with a low number (ALC655, 660, or 662, etc) or USB audio gets really reliable and groovy.
2. Processors should have tons of L2 cache.
So if there`s no way you can afford SSD RAID (0!) work drives and a backup, restore system that`s good enough, a RAID (5?) 2-1/2 inch drives system will still have some resemblance of performance. 3-1/2 inch drives are out of the question . A single IBM/ Hitachi 2-1/2 inch sata notebook drive is ridiculously easy and worthwhile as a boot drive (and a spare sits in a padded box on the shelf). If you need more money, cut down on your partner`s plans on his mere graphics and web computer.

Return to posts index

Fred JodryRe: Which Mac Pro...Follow up question.
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 11:22:57 pm

I know neither the formal names and terms nor the regular procedures of network area storage but the above is what you do, aim for. Keep asking but remember to share your successes and failures in the forum later. Jump into the Storage area network topic, and so on.
Hint, there`s an exchange right in this OSX topic on Jan 29 between Rich (Rushbaum?) I forget, and Bob Zelin. Bob examples a Small Tree card that fixes a network bridging problem. Sometimes buying a particular piece of hardware opens up firmware, hardware, or software solutions that automatically set to your needs. I`d guess that the Small Tree might be part of shared storage and not necessarily to your needs but your answer might look about like that.

Return to posts index

Fred JodryNonsense to self:
by on Feb 16, 2011 at 11:50:44 pm

I accidently put the answer above this in the wrong topic. Ignore it .
Chuck, put your e-mail on my e-mail. Something came up.
educationalbroadcasting@hotmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]