MAC OS X: Forum

It's time to update my mac?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
oscar de la calle
It's time to update my mac?
on Jan 22, 2011 at 12:11:18 am

Hello,
nowadays I´ve a mac pro with two Hapertown processors 2,8 Ghz, 4Gb ram and GeForce 8800 GT graphic card. My work is focused in postproduction video workflow and I´m thinking upgrade ram, maybe 12Gb more.

Is a good idea, or maybe I should update my workstation for a Westmere or Nehalem??

Do you think that if I increase the ram I can stand a few more years with my current machine?

Thank´s!!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: It's time to update my mac?
on Jan 22, 2011 at 12:58:54 am

If you want to make your current mac a screamer, get a least 16 gigs of RAM. If you want to go even farther, swap out the OS hard drive with a 500 gig SSD. OWC (Macsales.com) can hook you up with both. We got the new 12 cores and they're great, but our Hapertown 8 core is still rock solid with 16 gigs of ram.

The 12 cores only rock for apps that take advantage of them - which means FCS3 doesn't really a difference. CS5 is supposed to be faster, but I don't really notice much of a difference.

Return to posts index

oscar de la calle
on Jan 23, 2011 at 9:14:03 pm

Thanks John, I was looking the new 12 cores machines but....... very expensive for my actual budget and the soft that I use don´t take advantage therefore I´ll buy extra ram for my Hapertowns future screamers! :)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 23, 2011 at 9:16:36 pm

Awesome. Do look into more affordable SSD's for the OS drive. It's what makes the new macbook airs fast, and we have the SSD with the 12 core. It does speed things up a bit.
Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]