MAC OS X: Forum

Monitor Color Calibration

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrice Soehnlein
Monitor Color Calibration
on Dec 9, 2010 at 10:04:50 am

Hi there,

I'm a graphic designer and I recently bought a new 13" MacBook Pro. I'm working on calibrating my monitor the best I can without using a spectrophotometer or additional software. I'm a new professional in the business so bear with me if the questions seem obvious!

I tried the "Apple Display Calibrator Assistant" first. It improved the colors marginally, notably turning very warm (almost pinkish) greys more neutral (anyone else notice this on their new Macs?) I compared some standard calibration images and none of my calibrations were great - it seems like a lot of effort and guesswork to get something accurate.

I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust these settings more specifically on the computer without getting additional software, or if it would just be worth my while to get a ColorMunki or something similar. I of course realize that it won't ever be perfect, but the more I can improve the better!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Patrice

Return to posts index

Jonathan Kaeuper
Re: Monitor Color Calibration
on Dec 16, 2010 at 3:14:23 am

Patrice, this can be really tough... I was designing a lot of graphics for the web and I continually got comments that the colors were dark and cold. I had no clue what the were talking about. They looked great to me, however, I started using a preset on my mac (same 13" that you have) and it seems to make people a lot more happy with the results. It took me a few days to get used to it, but now it looks natural.

It was the sRGB IEC61966-2.1. I also tried the Adobe RGB (1998) and had good results as well. If neither works for you, I would go the more safe route of purchasing a calibrator.

Hope this helps a little,
Jonathan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]