MAC OS X: Forum

Mac workflow for Mac/PC DV capture, both MOV and AVI without reencode

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vladimir Novikov
Mac workflow for Mac/PC DV capture, both MOV and AVI without reencode
on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:25:51 am

Hi all,

I try to figure out the best way to capture the footage from Digital Betacam SONY J-30SDI player in DV25 quality using the FW port.

I need to deliver in both Mac QT and PC AVI formats with the timecode.

Of course, it's not a problem to capture the footage on the Mac side, FCP, QT Pro, Vidi or Live Capture Plus can do this for me.

But when I export as AVI using QT Pro, the timecode gets lost.

What should I do? Should I capture ad DV stream (filename.dv file) and next to convert to both MOV and AVI using some software which correctly maintains the timecode in both formats? Or should I continue to capture as Mac MOV file, but try out any other software to produce a correct AVI file with the timecode embedded?

Of course, I prefer to capture once and next just change the containers without reencode the video and thus lose a generation.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Mac workflow for Mac/PC DV capture, both MOV and AVI without reencode
on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:39:18 am

If you could explain the reason for needing avi files and how those avi files will be used perhaps we can help you find a bettor solution because you cannot capture to both formats at the same time.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Vladimir Novikov
Re: Mac workflow for Mac/PC DV capture, both MOV and AVI without reencode
on Nov 19, 2010 at 12:52:54 am

Hi Zane, thanks for your replay.

It's the contract. I need to deliver both MOV and AVI captures with exactly the same TC matching the one of the original DigiBeta tape.

I was told it's because the people in charge of the trailer uses Macs and the people in charge of the voice-over uses PCs.

So I try to keep my Mac based workflow and avoid to install some PC for AVI capture and capture each tape twice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]