MAC OS X: Forum

Suggestions on upgrades

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Nelson
Suggestions on upgrades
on Nov 9, 2010 at 6:58:42 pm

My old G5 2.5ghz quad died awhile back due to failure of the logic board and processors. Most likely due to a long journey over a bumpy road which moved dust into places that caused it to die when I turned it on. The machine is, I believe, from 04. Serial: G855127WR70. So I went online and found a refurbished 2.5ghz quad from Mega Macs and was led to believe I could move the hard drives, ram and other necessary stuff (video card, etc.) to the new/refurb. machine. Serial: G8447BW2QPP. Took it to the Apple tech and found out that was not the case. Video card and ram wouldn't transfer. Drives would. Contacted MM and they are looking into it but did say my machine was pre-2005 and the refurb was post-2005 making those parts non-transferable.

Guess what I'm asking is some friendly input on the best course at this point. Send it back and start over? Upgrade the refurb? Repair the old one? So far I have quite a bit invested in the refurb, especially in shipping. I live on the beautiful island of St. Croix, USVI and free shipping has no meaning here. So shipping alone was almost $200. Priority USPS. Fedx and UPS were much higher. The refurb carries a 30 day guarantee so I have to act fast.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated. The faster, the better.
John

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Suggestions on upgrades
on Nov 10, 2010 at 1:22:41 am

I think the machine you got for a replacement is actualy an older machine then your original.

Now I'm sure you don't want to hear this. Don't put money into Machines that are that old. Get something MUCH newer. Do your self a favor and at least get an intell Mac.

I personally would say that you propably payed more in shipping that the machine you had shipped is worth.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

John Nelson
on Nov 10, 2010 at 11:04:36 am

Thanks Zane.
The original object was to be able to swap out some parts and save a few bucks, if possible. May take your suggestion if I can get a refund on this one.

http://www.omproductions.net

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Nov 10, 2010 at 1:18:28 pm

I said you would not like the secretion.

If you look at the BIGGER picture your going to be spending more money in the long run dealing with OLD OLD hardware. Plus you are spending money on a machine that limits what you cab do in the future.

Apple will only repair machines for five years so why buy a machine that you cannot get repaired. And even if you could have that bad logic board replaced it would cost you almost as much as newer machine.

The fact is your money would be better spent on a newer computer.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]