<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles McIntyre
New Mac Pro vs PC
on Oct 28, 2010 at 12:40:11 pm

$2000 relatively low end AMD PC 2.4 times faster than a new $8100 Mac Pro:
2x 2.93GHz CPU's
32GB DDR3 1600 Ram
1x Mac 1TB OS Drive
3x WD 1TB 64 Meg Cache Drives(2 drives in raid 0)

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/737408?tstart=0

Harsh reality; Apple has it's work cut out for them. The Mac Pro is a beautiful machine, inside and out but it needs to be updated. Perhaps a video editing-specific model should be introduced to compete as opposed to Apple's Mac Pro "Swiss Army Knife" marketing approach.

I realize that this is just one test, but it's my understanding that Final Cut is still 32 bit, so I doubt that a Final Cut export benchmark would make the Mac Pro look much better.

I come from an office where both Macs using Final Cut and PCs using Premiere CS5 were in service. One day on show site, a long time Mac/Final Cut user's jaw dropped when he saw me import an s-load of Panasonic P2's and they became immediately ready to edit. No Log and Transfer.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: New Mac Pro vs PC
on Oct 29, 2010 at 7:00:43 pm

Do you really want the rest of us paupers to drool? I`ve got most of that stuff and no mentionable money. For the money, you could use a set of hard drives and other hardware to "Hackintosh" your AMD, use a second set to Windows your same AMD, and a third set to isoLinuxize, usually Ubuntuize a suite. Crank out the usual sandpaper- quality shows out of the first one you get going, and save money for the Mac Pro, even if the AMD Hackintoshes well. Could means no guarantee. If you get a software shutdown, it`s usually rejected hardware like unsupported audio or video cards, or an adjustment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]