MAC OS X: Forum

RAID 1 Performance Issues on New Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabe HatfieldRAID 1 Performance Issues on New Mac Pro
by on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:53:04 pm

I've just set up two new Mac Pro 2x2.93 Ghz 6-Core machines with (4) 2TB Sata drives in each. (the drives are different models in each computer, but the 4 drives within each computer are the same). I've set the drives up as 2 separate RAID 1 sets. Bays 1 and 3 are my boot drive as one RAID 1 set, and bays 2 and 4 are a second RAID 1 volume.

I'm getting curious performance issues on the non-boot drive RAID set on both machines. If I run an AJA system test on the boot drive, I read/writes around 130Mb/sec. The same test run on the other RAID volume yields 30-40Mb/sec, as well as a substantial lag before the drives begin to access.

Any ideas why this is happening. Can you set up two separate RAID 1 volumes using disk utility?

Thanks,

Gabe

Hatfield Post/Production, Inc.
819 W. Superior
Chicago, IL 60622
312-226-3200
312-226-3211
http://www.hatpost.com

Return to posts index

Sacha ThomasRe: RAID 1 Performance Issues on New Mac Pro
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 9:37:39 pm

Software or hardware RAID?
Might the lags be occurring on "green" drives with built-in power management? I have been researching setting up a RAID and I have read about the lag issue with the "green" ("eco") drives. Drives with their own power-down feature will create a lag in a RAID setup because they are constantly powering up and down.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]