MAC OS X: Forum

copied folders

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dustin Wardcopied folders
by on Sep 21, 2010 at 4:51:21 pm

I copied all of my folders and projects over to a larger drive. When I say to "Get Info", the copied drive is 975GB and the master is 1.4TB. How did this happen? Is there a plug-in or something that will search out the difference?

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas QuinlanRe: copied folders
by on Sep 21, 2010 at 6:26:48 pm

Yeah you can do this in Terminal easily. The command is "diff": this will give you a list of differences between two volumes or directories. It looks like this

diff -rq FolderA FolderB

the 'r' flag to recursively compare all subdirs, and the 'q' for brief output, only showing the differences. If you're not comfortable in CL that's fine, just open Terminal and type

diff -rq

then put a space in, drag (from Finder) the first directory, then drag in the second directory, hit enter. Terminal will populate the directory location if you drag folders in.

This is the fastest way to get a list of files that never made it from A to B. Do a 'man diff' to get more options if you want them.

Return to posts index

Dustin WardRe: copied folders
by on Sep 21, 2010 at 7:29:36 pm

diff -rq /Volumes/MEGATRON/\ TFH /Volumes/DUSTIN/\ TFH
Files /Volumes/MEGATRON/ TFH/4th of July/2010/.DS_Store and /Volumes/DUSTIN/ TFH/4th of July/2010/.DS_Store differ

This is what terminal came up with, but i pulled up the info on the 2010 folders and they are exactly the same.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]