MAC OS X: Forum

iWork download

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
michael hill
iWork download
on Sep 12, 2010 at 2:57:40 pm

I'm downloading free trial of iWork from Apple.com. Should it take 4+ hours to download?? I started download before I went to bed last night and awoke this morning with the download incomplete and a message saying it had 'timed out' with still 2+ hours remaining. So I hit resume an hour ago and it still has 2:15 to go!! Is this normal or did I skip or miss a step when I clicked on 'download'? Thanks
Michael

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: iWork download
on Sep 12, 2010 at 10:32:25 pm

Seems like you have really slow internet? Can you run speedtest.net and post the results? You may also want to plug your mac straight into your router instead of using airport. I get much faster speeds that way.

Return to posts index

michael hill
on Sep 13, 2010 at 12:25:18 am

Thank you for the tip. Here are the speed test results, from two different tests:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/950880028.png

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/950882238.png[/IMG][/URL]

It seems the speed is half of what it should be from BellSouth.net. Results from 2nd test below:
Download speed MP3File (5 MB) 49 seconds
Video Clip (35 MB) 6 mins
Movie (800 MB) 130 mins

Upload
E-mail Attachment (1 MB) 27 seconds
Photo Gallery (8 MB) 4 mins
Video Clip (35 MB) 16 mins

I think I need another provider or to connect by cable to the modem.
Again, thanks.
peace
Michael

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 13, 2010 at 9:37:32 am

Cable internet has always been fster than dsl in my experience. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Sep 13, 2010 at 2:36:56 pm

Yea Michael you have just about the worst Internet connection I have seen contact your ISP and get it fixed. My phone gets speeds much much faster then that.

As for faster internet via Ethernet that is something that a lot of people believe that just simply isn't true. The bottle neck on any internet speed will be the ISP. I have yet to see a Internet connection that is faster then what a wifi rougher will put out. Now if your transferring large file from one computer to another on the same network then yes ethernet will definitely be faster. But with Internet it will not make any big difference as any signal from an ISP is going to be far slower then what the wifi rougher can do.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 13, 2010 at 9:19:44 pm

Zane,
Last week I ran into an issue where iTunes 10 refused to deliver genius results for several days, each time delivering a network error. I found out that bypassing the router (airport extreme) and hardwiring directly into the modem worked. The extreme works great - but there was some server issue that caused that problem - even though I stay hardwired into the Extreme because this particular mac is in the same room as the router.
Further, we don't know the conditions he works in. If his router is far enough away, through several walls, next to an airport, on a bad channel, or if the radio in his router is failing - that can all have a big effect on speeds. My advice to hardwire would merely identify if the router is the problem. Even better, he should hardwire directly into the modem
You're right - internet speeds will always be far slower than even the slowest wifi, but only if it works correctly. A router is much easier to replace than an ISP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]