MAC OS X: Forum

available space not recognized

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Austin
available space not recognized
on Sep 5, 2010 at 12:16:49 am

Hi. I want to transfer files from my old G4 to various new external drives. (I only use My Mac Pro quad core these days.) No matter which drive I attach to the G4, it reads the drive as:

Capacity -- KB
Available -- KB

These external drives have a minimum of 50 gigs of free space, I use them every day on the quad. What gives? How can I get the G4 to recognize legit hard drive space?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: available space not recognized
on Sep 5, 2010 at 5:59:42 am

What format are the drives?

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Sep 5, 2010 at 4:45:31 pm

Extended journaled.

In fact I erased/reformatted a flash drive on the G4 yesterday and it still didn't recognize that one's free space, either.

Could it possibly have something to do with Administrator? I bought the G4 used and the Admin is former owner.

Thx

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 10, 2010 at 1:04:00 am

Boot your G4 from an OS install disc. Change the admin password to your own. I'd probably back up my documents and reinstall everything. Also repair permissions might clear up issue.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
on Sep 10, 2010 at 4:15:32 am

Wish I could reboot from disc, but I bought the G4 used/as is. My only OS disc is Snow Leopard for the quad core.

Any idea why the G4 will not recognize any free space on external drives? It does read the files & apps.

thx

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 10, 2010 at 12:29:00 pm

Did you try to repair permissions? The only version of OS X that won' work on a G4 is snow leopard. I would do search for the best version for the G4 and buy a disc. I'm sure older versions can be found cheap. If you don't have an admin account then there isn't a lot you can do. You can't even install software.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]