MAC OS X: Forum

New Snow Leopard Install Issues

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris BabbittNew Snow Leopard Install Issues
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 3:20:28 pm

I just did a fresh install of Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro, on a spanking clean hard drive, did all the updates, and most everything seems to be working fine.....except my Epson R-380 printer and my Epson Perfection 3200 scanner. The computer recognizes both units, but the Epson scanner software won't run and when I try to print, nothing happens, and It just stores the job in the printer batch list with an error message. I did software update, and it supposedly downloaded new drivers, but no luck. Epson's web site just refers me back to Apple. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Chris BabbittRe: Update
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 4:36:51 pm

OK, I got the printer working. I basically had to uninstall and then re-install. Scanner is still a no-go. Has anyone had any luck getting the 3200 software to work with Snow Leopard. Apparently, Epson has no drivers past 10.5, and that one doesn't appear to work.

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: Update
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 11:16:02 pm

Hi Chris,

Check out VueScan by Hamrick Software. I've been using this to run various scanners since 2002. The developer is continually updating to accommodate new scanners and address any requests/problems that users may have, but I for one, have been totally satisfied. I can't say for certain whether or not your particular scanner is supported - if it's been around for a while I would guess it is. Once you buy the product (and it's relatively inexpensive - I paid $40 in 2002), you never have to pay for upgrades. I'm in no way affiliated with the developer - just a satisfied customer.

HTH

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2010 at 12:54:46 am

Thank you Gary. That's a great suggestion. I'll check it out. Apple's Image Capture works, but it's pretty limited. I spoke to Epson, and they still do not have a Snow Leopard version of their software.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Update
by on Sep 5, 2010 at 6:06:36 am

If Epson has not released drivers by now they wont be as snow leopard has been out for a year now.

I'm betting your scanner is a bit on the old side.

For a little more then what Gary says that software cost you can get a brand new scanner that is most likely better then your old one.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-LiDE100-Color-Scanner-2923B002/dp/B001DJDGXA/re...

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

by on Sep 5, 2010 at 3:50:32 pm

Actually, Epson just finally released the new driver for Apple's Image Capture program just a few days ago. I'm hopeful that the diver for their software will be out shortly. I spent $400 on my scanner and I still love it, and would like to keep it.

Return to posts index

Craig AlanRe: Update
by on Sep 5, 2010 at 10:06:36 pm

Many moons ago, I had a fairly high-end photo printer ($750) from Epson. When the printer was about a year old, I updated the OS's on a PC and a Mac. Epson failed to update their drivers. Our HP laser printer was supported right way with new drivers and clear documentation matching printer models, OS's and the recommended print driver. Next time around, I bought a Canon photo printer. Not only does Canon continue to update their drivers but their print heads are less likely to clog which was a problem on the Epson. Epson's print quality has continued to get good reviews, but they lost me as a customer. And if any of these companies stop inflating the price of ink refills I'd switch to their brand.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]