MAC OS X: Forum

adding huge internal HD to a McPro

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Irene Driessen
adding huge internal HD to a McPro
on Jul 8, 2010 at 6:46:39 pm

Hi,

I have a fine MacPro (2009) and a huge series of external HDs. For several reasons I am now looking into adding an internal HD, and since I'm a video maker, I need a big one. I would prefer to just plugin a WD 2Tb, or, if I can find a decent one, 4Tb. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? Is there any reason why I should buy the expensive Apple disk rather than a mainstream brand?

Thanks!
Irene

Return to posts index

Craig Thomas Quinlan
Re: adding huge internal HD to a McPro
on Jul 9, 2010 at 11:35:46 pm

No 4TB single sata drives yet, but you can definitely just slap in a 2TB sata and format it HFS+, no problem. Generally have a higher failure rate with those than 1tb right now though. Use whatever you want; enterprise class is best. Hitachi is usually a great brand for 1TB enterprise drives, we use those all the time.

Many people buy 3 sata drives and create a big internal software raid0 stripe through Disk Utility, which would let you approach about 250MB/s sustained throughput. If you lose a drive in that stripe, though, you lose the whole volume, so plan accordingly.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Jul 13, 2010 at 7:48:52 pm

if you're editing video, don't replace your boot drive with a bigger one. you don't want to put video that you're editing on your boot drive for performance reasons. put the new drive in another bay and put your video files on it.

e

Eric Hansen - http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 19, 2010 at 2:10:00 am

I am starting to wonder if the 2 TB drives have gotten acceptably reliable. I notice that all the major enclosure companies including Caldigit, OWC, Gtech, WiebeTech, etc are not just supporting them but using them in units they package under their own labels.

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Jul 19, 2010 at 3:19:34 am

Craig wrote: I am starting to wonder if the 2 TB drives have gotten acceptably reliable

i haven't heard anything about 2TB drives being any more or less reliable than 1TB drives (or drives of any size). my advice is to operate under the assumption that all drives fail (it's not a matter of "if" but "when", backup backup backup) and go with a company that has a nice warranty and exchange policy. Enterprise class drives are meant to run 24/7 for years, and carry a longer warranty (usually 5-7 years) vs. consumer level drives (1-3 years). i currently buy Hitachi because they have the best replacement service i've used. yes, i buy from a company whose drives have failed on me - i've had drives from every major manufacturer fail on me. hard drives just do that. but Hitachi's exchange process is the easiest in my experience.

btw, i buy about 200-300 hard drives per year on behalf of clients and myself, both as bare units and pre-made enclosures.

to the OP, in the case of the Mac Pro, Apple-branded drives are no different than an off-the-shelf drive, as long as the specs are similar. obviously if you buy a 5400 RPM or "Green" drive, it will run slower than the Apple drive that came with your computer.

e

Eric Hansen - http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]