MAC OS X: Forum

New machine or upgrade?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelton Corc
New machine or upgrade?
on Jul 2, 2010 at 9:07:41 pm

Hey,

I am currently looking at increasing my editing power a little bit, however I am not a hardcore user. I edit in Final Cut Studio with my 13" MacBook Pro. I have some money right now and I want to either get a used PowerMac G5 off of ebay and use that as my primary editing machine and just use my 13" MacBook Pro as a personal computer, not window's PC, you know what I mean. The other option is to upgrade my 13" MBP a little bit. I would buy some RAM, which is currently at 2GB. Then I would get a HD, 7200rpm 16MB buffer, the editing standard. Now I am not going to throw my money around because I am only 14 and you know it is my money, not a company or something I put on a credit card. If you think I should go for the upgrade, can you recommend how much RAM to get, and if there are any very cheap HD's. I am not sure about internal or external, but from my experience a external almost always costs more. I am looking to stay under $200 so whatever you think is best for a almost really serious editor, please say so.

Thanks,

Kelton

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: New machine or upgrade?
on Jul 4, 2010 at 11:43:59 pm

I hate to say it, but for that budget you won't really get desperate amounts of extra out of anything for 200 or less. The g5 is only marginally better but it's still not great. Also worth mentioningthat whilst all applications use ram a bit, the hardcore stuff (rendering, rt playback) is usually handled mainly by the processor so even doubling ur r won't make huge amounts of difference; it only really helps if you are switching between apps and have more stuff physically open. So from that sense the marginally better option would probably be the g5 cos it's a better processor, AND do as much extra ram and fastest hard dire you can afford but they're secondary. If you're using final cut though, ur in trouble if your not using a much more powerful ones than what ur describing here unfortunately simply because it would slow down your workflow so much! so I would be careful how much you use the word "serious" in terms of how you edit :p mnd you lots of people are probably shouting at me "the best computers in the world can't produce a good editor" and "if you have the skill it shouldn't matter!!!!!" so slap on MY wrist for saying such things :D

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
Production Assistant, Grace Productions
Degree; TV Production

Return to posts index

Kelton Corc
on Jul 6, 2010 at 4:27:10 am

Yes, I know that $200 is a VERY limited budget, but I simply can not buy another computer right now. My father is a professional video producer, yet I don't use any of his gear. I know that this is very bad to work from, but unless I win something or run into a S***load of cash I will not get a new computer. The way I am saying serious is that it is not like I make the next hit youtube movie you know. It is just great to get exposure for the future when I can get much better stuff. Working my way up, you know. Although I make my way through with the tools that I have, not every kid can go running off buying beefy computers like it is nothing, there are limits.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 5, 2010 at 5:46:16 pm

I think a G5 is not a good investment. I would think a second monitor and/or a good external HD/or raid set up would be money better spent. New mac pros are due soon. That should drop the price on older gen intel mac pros. That would be a step up. Though $200 is a very small budget for any pro set up.

What kind of ports does your macbook pro have?

OSX 10.5.7; MAC Book PRO (EARLY 2008); Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30, Sony vx2000/PD170, Canon xl2; Pana, Sony, and Canon consumer cams; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Kelton Corc
on Jul 6, 2010 at 4:19:28 am

My ports? The standard on all macbook pro's in the 2009 model range, if you are asking which ports I use. I know I will get endless rants on this, but USB to transfer my footage from the Flip Ultra HD(SAVE THE COMMENTS, I know) and then here and there a firewire 400 to 800 adaptation for a Panasonic PV-GS150.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]