MAC OS X: Forum

Dual monitors

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim ScottDual monitors
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 1:56:16 pm

I recently added a Panasonic LCD HDTV display to use as a video monitor for Final Cut Pro, and as an occasional second monitor for multiple windows in other programs. It works fine for all programs except Pages (09) where a new document will always open on the Panasonic instead of on my primary Apple monitor, making it irretrievable if that monitor is off. Interestingly enough, saved documents always open on the primary monitor. Since I do not want to always have the Panasonic running, is there any way to correct this? I have looked in the Preferences for Pages, as well as System Preferences - Displays - and can find nothing.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Dual monitors
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 3:57:59 pm

Delete the preference file for pages.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Dual monitors
by on Jun 21, 2010 at 9:11:19 pm

Interesting thought... didn't work though.

Return to posts index

Sacha ThomasRe: Dual monitors
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 3:45:54 pm

I haven't tried it with multiple monitors, but one thing you could try is to install Cinch. I have been using it for a couple of months with my 27" iMac. It automatically resizes an application window based on what area of the screen you drag it to. It is great for splitting the screen evenly between two application windows. I suggest this because it seems to remember the last position of the window even after closing. The thought occurs to me as I write this that it may actually be OSX that remembers the window location. But it's worth a try.

Return to posts index

Michael MoonRe: Dual monitors
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 8:15:55 pm

Hi Jim,

I am not at home to check right now, but you might try trashing the plist file for iWork.pages If iWork is not open when you do it, I think that would reset the position (assuming trashing the pref file did not do it). However, it will probably also destroy all other settings, including layouts, and your serial number, so be aware you might have to re-register.

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Dual monitors
by on Jun 26, 2010 at 11:47:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I spent several hours on the phone with multiple levels of Apple Tech support the other day and nothing they tried worked either - including trashing prefs, new administrator account, etc., etc. Though they tried to be helpful they only had one record of a similar support call, and that had no solution either. I'm getting around it by just having a blank Pages document in my Dock that I use to start a new file since saved files always open on the primary monitor. Not that big of a deal really, just annoying.

Thanks again, Jim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]