MAC OS X: Forum

Best Graphics Card

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph ColombattoBest Graphics Card
by on Jun 17, 2010 at 3:38:18 pm

Hello,
I am presently working on a Mac Pro (the first version), Processor 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon,
and Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, and am looking to upgrade my current system without
having to buy the new 8 core. (tempting though).
Can I add Memory (Ram) to this system, (Apple Store says it's maxed out as is), and what is the
Best Graphics Card I can put into this present system?
I'm beginning to do a lot of HD work, (AVCHD), and would like the highest performance possible
with this system. Also, an external monitor, what would you suggest.
I still transcode much of my stuff to SD, and still run my external monitor thru a DSR-11.
I suppose I should go to an HD external, would I be able to hook the DSR-11 into that for
SD (30p) stuff?
Thanks a bunch,
Joe C.

Return to posts index

Pasi KoivistoRe: Best Graphics Card
by on Jun 29, 2010 at 4:12:22 am

You should be able to upgrade to 16Gb of ram.

Look into the Radeon 4870. I use it in my Mac Pro but it's the revision after your but I've read that it works But look into it.

I think you should consider buying 3 SATA drives, but them into your computer and do a software raid 0. It will be very fast and really help with the performance. Just remember to NOT keep project or originals on it as it has a higher risk of crashing.

If you get a video card that can output to a HD monitor most if not all of the HD cards from AJA and Black Magic will downconvert the signal to SD.

/Pasi
--
Editor, Colorist.
Mac Pro, 8x3 Ghz, 8 Gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4870, KONA 3, Sony PVM20L4, Tangent Devices Wave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]