MAC OS X: Forum

power mac hard drive in a mac pro?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aaron moore
power mac hard drive in a mac pro?
on Jun 16, 2010 at 12:18:57 am

Hey all, I have a question that hopefully will not sound to dumb. I have been working on a Dual 2 GHz power mac G5 for a while now (a long while) I just got a new (used) Mac pro 8 core 2.8. I have applications (CS4, FCP, etc.) that I don't have the disks for because I was upgraded or given applications by clients to do work. Can I transfer the applications from the old computer HD to the new one? Or can I just plug the HD (startup disk) from the old power mac into the mac pro and have everything come up as it did before just faster? Or do I have to find program disks and start all over. Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

aaron moore
Re: power mac hard drive in a mac pro?
on Jun 16, 2010 at 2:01:47 am

Oh ya, BTW the power mac is running 10.5.8.

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:21:49 am

"I have applications (CS4, FCP, etc.) that I don't have the disks for because I was upgraded or given applications by clients to do work. Can I transfer the applications from the old computer HD to the new one?"

Pro apps do not transfer properly because when they are installed they install components into the OS.

If they did not give you the disks and SNs for the software then they did not give you legal copies. Ask for the disks, if you cannot get then you should buy new legit copies.

"Or can I just plug the HD (startup disk) from the old power mac into the mac pro and have everything come up as it did before just faster?"

Nope a OS installed on a PPC will not have the drivers needed to properly run a newer machine.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

aaron moore
on Jun 16, 2010 at 6:07:25 am

What about the non pro apps, like ilife and things i have purchased via download like filp4mac?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]