MAC OS X: Forum

installing Mac OSx on G4 laptop with broken CD drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Popeinstalling Mac OSx on G4 laptop with broken CD drive
by on Jun 15, 2010 at 6:45:27 pm

installing Mac OSx on G4 laptop with broken CD drive. I am using a mac book pro as the main computer and my G4 as a drive now. Online I have seen various ways to do this that all require formatting your disk and using a 3rd party software to be able to install the installation disk on the hard drive. Any clear ideas on how to do this

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: installing Mac OSx on G4 laptop with broken CD drive
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 4:24:45 am

Put your G4 install disk into the optical drive of the MacBook Pro and then restart it holding down the T key thus putting the machine into target mode. You can them boot the G4 off the install disk by connecting the 2 computers via FireWire.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Sam PopeRe: installing Mac OSx on G4 laptop with broken CD drive
by on Jun 16, 2010 at 3:41:52 pm

thanks but that did not work at all, computer that is not hard drive setup just says to keep restarting but never installs. I tried to clone Mac os x onto a hardrive following these directions
http://lowendmac.com/ed/royal/08sr/clone-mac-os-x.html
but also did not work.
Here is my current situation
I have a Mac Powerbook G4 (2004 i think). The hard drive crashed, and i got a guy to replace it with a 320g drive (i understand it may not be able to use it all). He was unable to intstall mac os x on the computer, partially because my cd drive also does not work. i followed your instructions on
http://lowendmac.com/ed/royal/08sr/clone-mac-os-x.html
and used a macbook pro to load super duper and then format and install on my g4 using it as a drive(pressing T as it starts up) After doing this my computer still will not boot up just the folder with the ?.
Any suggestions?
Is buying and external cd romm drive my best option?
I have an original Tiger 10.4 disk. I was actually running SnowLepord on my g4 for the last year or so with no problem but Tiger is the only disk i currently can find.

Please help, this is one of my work computers. I'll send out some of our films to you.
Thanks, Chris

Return to posts index

Alexander KallasRe: installing Mac OSx on G4 laptop with broken CD drive
by on Jun 23, 2010 at 12:05:58 pm

Create a disc image of the install disc on the donor Mac, and make your G4 the fire-wire target.
Transfer the disc image to the G4 and open it there.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]