MAC OS X: Forum

Macbook Pro 15 vs 17 inch

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Gosselin
Macbook Pro 15 vs 17 inch
on May 3, 2010 at 8:56:26 pm

Hi all,
I just replaced my old 2006 Macbook Pro with the newly released model. I got the 15 inch version, same as my last one. It's a beautiful machine, and the hi-def (1650 x 1050) matte display is quite brilliant. However, I'm contemplating exchanging it for the 17 inch model. This will be my all-purpose computer, but I am a filmmaker and will sometimes be using it for video editing. I am wondering if the extra screen space and higher resolution (1900 x 1200) could be useful. I generally leave the laptop at home, but might bring it with me on different occasions, and I might be travelling during the next couple years as well. The 17 inch version with the same specs would be $180 more. I figure it's not that much more compared to my initial investment, and considering I will be using this computer for the next 3-4 years. Another option would be to keep the 15 inch and buy a larger external display for home.

I've tried comparing the two at the Apple store but it's hard to get a sense of what it would be like to actually work on the machine. Has anyone here used both a 15 and 17 inch MBP? If so, did you have a preference between the two? How is the tradeoff of screen size vs portability?

Thanks for any suggestions/guidance!

Best,
Philippe

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Macbook Pro 15 vs 17 inch
on May 3, 2010 at 10:51:02 pm

If you plan on doing video then the 17 hands down for one reason. It has an express slot. The express slot eill let you use an esata card and esata drives which are at least 2x as fast as FW800. And for video you want fast drives.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on May 4, 2010 at 6:50:58 pm

I'd say exactly the same thing, the missing express slot on the 15 inch is such a disappointment. The 17's a big heavy beast tho'

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Matthew Mullen
on May 5, 2010 at 7:04:59 pm

That's disappointing. The 15 inch model used to have an Express Slot. I feel like the 17 inch is too big but that's a big option to be missing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]