MAC OS X: Forum

No Desktop

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ju SantanaNo Desktop
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 1:36:12 pm

Hello, I am a little bit confused/frustrated because I went on vacation outside of the country and I brought my 17" mac book pro with me to do some video work on the plane. I started downloading the latest updates for my machine from apple, since the internet connection was super slow the update lasted about 2 hours to complete.

Afterwards the computer required a restart and it began to verify and install the downloaded updates which lasted about 30 mins, then the screen goes all black and then the initial grey screen appeared and i heard that famous apple start up chime and I waited for about ten minutes and continued seeing the same screen and nothing happened so I pressed and held the power button to manually restart it, then once it restarted it never went past the grey screen and after about an hour, a circle with a line through it appeared in place of where the apple icon would have been.

I looked on the apple site for support and tried the following options that DID NOT WORK for me,

"Press the control key, the command key, and the power button simultaneously and hold for three seconds to try to restart the computer."

"Reset the PRAM. After pressing the power button, hold down these keys simultaneously: Command-Option-P-R, until you hear the startup chime at least one additional time after the initial startup chime."

any help bringing my machine back to life would be a blessing, please let me know if there are any additional options i can do from here before getting back into the country

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: No Desktop
by on Apr 23, 2010 at 5:54:34 pm

Sounds like the update did not download properly therefore it could not upgrade properly.

I would recommend NEVER downloading a OS update on a crappy Internet connection like you were on.

Best thing to do would to to make an appointment at a apple store and see if they can boot from a different drive and re apply the update.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]