MAC OS X: Forum

Quicktime upgrade issue: mpeg2 playback

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kimber
Quicktime upgrade issue: mpeg2 playback
on Apr 12, 2010 at 2:42:27 pm

Hi,

I recently updated my computer, which updated my Quicktime Pro player to version 7.6.6. However, once I did this, I lost the ability to play back audio on my mpeg-2 files. I called Apple's customer service line to try and get their opinion on what to do. They were stumped and suggested I completely reinstall the Apple OS without allowing the update for Quicktime and then reinstall FC Studio. I don't really have the time for that, however. I did download Pacifist and tried installing the Quicktime application, but for some reason, it still acts like the update was done. (It still calls itself 7.6.6 and won't play the audio on my mpeg-2 files). I have no idea what else to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Sean

Return to posts index

Sean Kimber
Re: Quicktime upgrade issue: mpeg2 playback
on Apr 12, 2010 at 2:43:48 pm

I forgot to mention that I am using a Mac OS X Version 10.5.8. I do have the quicktime mpeg2 component installed. It's version 6.4.1. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Omar Rodriguez
on Apr 12, 2010 at 3:14:49 pm

I did the upgrade on April 1st (is this a joke?!), and have not been able to find a solution as of yet. But I'm definitely not re-installing OS... That's ludicrous.

Return to posts index

Sean Kimber
on Apr 12, 2010 at 7:11:51 pm

I'm actually relieved to hear that someone else is having the same problem. When I called Apple, they had no idea that the problem existed. I also couldn't find anything online. I hope someone has a more reasonable solution, though.

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Apr 19, 2010 at 9:10:30 pm

I found this on Squared5.com. It fixed my Mpeg2 playback issue when I upgraded to Snow Leopard. I am sure that Apple does not want you to know this as they want to sell you the Mpeg Playback component for $20! Anyway, It worked for me....

If you obtained the MPEG-2 Playback Component from the installation of Final Cut Studio, then you can reinstall it again from the Final Cut Studio DVD. Insert the DVD and use the Finder's Go menu > Go To Folder... command to get to the /Volumes/Final Cut Studio/Installer/Packages/ folder inside the DVD. Locate the QuickTimeMPEG2.pkg or the QuickTimeMPEG2Pro.pkg installer: double-click it to reinstall the MPEG-2 component.

Hope this helps

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Sean Kimber
on Apr 20, 2010 at 3:51:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I was very hopeful with this, but unfortunately, no dice. I still only get video and not audio when I play mpegs. What a frustrating problem!

Return to posts index

Raul Canas
on May 21, 2010 at 3:13:42 pm

I have the same problem and also when I capture dv files via QT and import them in Final Cut the size changes to 1049x576 and square pixel. The info panel of QT says that the clip is 1024x576. Now I have always to capture with Final Cut to get right size in the movies.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]