MAC OS X: Forum

Snow Leopard vs Duel Adaptor (compatibility issue)

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefano Bianchi
Snow Leopard vs Duel Adaptor (compatibility issue)
on Apr 5, 2010 at 6:39:45 pm

Hello,
and thanks for Your consideration.

I would like some Apple crew guy would give me a technical answer to a problem that - for my fault, of course - but even for the new Apple OS structure, is giving me something more than a simple headache.

I had to inform better before buying, but I didn't, because the vendor suggested me, and because until today Apple never gave me reasons to be afraid of problems like this. And I know what you'll say now. And you're all right.

I bought a Panasonic P2 camera, to shot some documentaries in Indonesia, where I moved to in these last days.

Because of the long transfer times of P2 cards to the hard drive of a computer, I decided to buy - due to the suggestion of the vendor - a Duel Adapter P2 card reader, that should have cut the transfer time of 1/3, and also had made me possible continuing shooting during the transfer operation.

The only Apple laptop able to host a Duel Adapter card reader was the 17 inch Mac Book Pro... sold now with the Mac OS 10.6.2 OS, aka SNOW LEOPARD.

To make it short, I find out now that Snow Leopard doesn't allow to use this P2 card reader... while the previous OS did... and this has been the answer from the Duel technical support (after 2 hours I wrote them) to my enquiry:

"Dear Stefano,
Thank you for contacting Duel Systems Customer Service!
Unfortunately, we do not have drivers planned for Snow Leopard. This issue is actually caused by the removal of the drivers from Snow Leopard that were built-in to Leopard. It was a decision made by Apple therefore, we would advise you to contact Apple about having them include those drivers again. For more information regarding our Duel Adapter and the MAC operating system, Snow Leopard please contact our Technical Support Department. Technical Support can be reached at 1-888-227-7004 or support@duel-systemsadapters.com".

Now I wonder why, Apple had to make this, that to my not technic eyes would look more like a step back rather then a step forward in her OS releasing? Why a so useful product that was working until yesterday, today is suddenly totally cut out from the market, just because of a change in the built-in drivers of their new OS?

I've been ingenuous, of course, believing that just my favorite shop words could be enough for getting a decision without getting deeper inside the matter.

But what is a rule until one day, it's dangerous if changed the day after.

So, I can not exempt myself from feeling disappointed and deluded. I've been an Apple user for 13 years. Maybe this years I've been less smart than ever: For sure it's my fault. But I can't feel sympathy for this new Snow Leopard, until someone will convince me that that change has been made to make that product nearer the users needs.

And I know I still can Install Windows on my Mac. But if I'm a Mac user and not a Windows user, I will probably have my reasons.

I know this post will sound like a complain, and in some way it is. But it would be better reading it as a constructive complain to encourage Apple to insert back again that missing built-in drivers in the next (and I hope near) upgrade of their Snow Leopard. At the same time, I will provide to upgrade my smartness level, and before buying a new product I will inform better about its compatibility details. Even if it should be a laptop bag.

Thanks a lot,
Stefano Bianchi

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]