MAC OS X: Forum

Reverting to Snow Leopard 10.6.2

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd BunnellReverting to Snow Leopard 10.6.2
by on Mar 31, 2010 at 4:12:30 pm

I recently made a bad decision. I upgraded my Operating System software in the middle of a project.

My OS is currently Snow Leopard 10.6.3, and since upgrading I am unable to successfully compress videos in Compressor. My sequences export to Compressor just fine, it's when Compressor actually compresses .m2v's, that I run into problems. I keep getting a "Failed" message.

Before upgrading to 10.6.3, I successfully exported and compressed videos as recent as last Friday. Since the recent OS upgrade, I have been unable to. I expect something in the update to the QT settings had something to do with this new problem.

Can anyone tell me how to revert to 10.6.2 with relative ease and least amount of damage to computer? I have Time Machine hooked up to my MacPro tower. Thanks for your help.

Todd

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: verting to Snow Leopard 10.6.2
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 2:09:40 am

To go back you will have to reinstall your OS. Keep in mind that you will also want to reinstall Final Cut Studio because it puts some componants into the OS that would go missing with a OS reinstall.

For future reference you should clone your HD before doing any OS or FCP updates so that if issues happen you can go back using the clone.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

Todd BunnellRe: verting to Snow Leopard 10.6.2
by on Apr 1, 2010 at 1:49:44 pm

Hi Zane,

Thanks for the information. Fortunately, I was able to get my compressor working again. Apparently, the problem was an issue with QMaster's spooling. Once I trashed a couple folders according to a document "Compressor: Troubleshooting basics" found on Apple's website http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1888, the problem disappeared.

Your suggestion to make a clone of my Hard Disk before I do an update is appreciated. Just wondering if you have any experience with the "Super Duper!" application by Shirt Pocket? I do indeed have this software installed, and it backs up all files on my HD once per week. I am supposed to reboot from the external volume that it saves to, just as if that were my actual computer and Operating System.

I will explore Super Duper a little more thoroughly so I better understand how to execute it should I need it in the future. Thanks for the advice.

Todd

Return to posts index

Jiri FialaRe: verting to Snow Leopard 10.6.2
by on Apr 19, 2010 at 6:30:33 pm

You can use the free Carbon Copy Cloner too. I have cloned my OSX installs with CCC with great success.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]