MAC OS X: Forum

Express Card 34 crashes Snow Leopard

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Atkins
Express Card 34 crashes Snow Leopard
on Mar 28, 2010 at 5:18:28 pm

This doesn't happen all the time. It works perfectly more often then when it doesn't.

I have Snow Leopard installed and I edit on an Express Card 34 adapter, which is then hooked eSata into a G-Raid hard drive. The issues lies with my card. Not always, but sometimes when I insert this card, a grey layer comes down on my screen and says that I need to restart my computer by pressing the power button until it shuts down. During this time, the computer does nothing and I have no other choice. Once I slide the card into the slot, it clicks - this is when things freeze.

Does anyone else use an Express Card 34 adapter with Snow Leopard...does Leopard crash on you? I don't remember having issues in the past, but within the past couple months...

The card I'm using is a Rosewill RC-605. It's a 2 Port eSATA II Express Card. Might this be a driver issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Jeff Carpenter
Re: Express Card 34 crashes Snow Leopard
on Mar 29, 2010 at 3:02:32 pm

Go re-download all the drivers. Sony had a lot of problems with Snow Leopard and they had to put out new drivers to fix the problems.

I think that was mostly related to the built-in chip readers in the older Macbook Pros and not external readers, but even so, I know they had to make new drivers for Snow Leopard so you'll probably benefit from those if you don't have them already.

Return to posts index

Michael MacGregor
on Apr 7, 2010 at 4:49:36 pm

Hi

I've got the same problem as the first poster with my Verbatim ExpressCard Adaptor for CF.

The user manual said that NO driver was necessary for Leopard and Snow Leopard. After crashing every time I inserted the card with the CF card inserted, I did go to the Verbatim website and download the latest SDD driver v2.2.1 as you suggested.

Still crashed.

Then I uninstalled the driver.

No crash but the card didn't mount either.

I ran the CD that came with the card and with the express adaptor card in the slot. The installer detected my Snow Leopard OS and said no driver installation was necessary.

When I removed the card it was quite warm.

Any ideas? I'm about ready to return it to Amazon.

Frustrated Mike

Mike MacGregor

Return to posts index

Davis Cooper
on Oct 23, 2010 at 7:02:56 pm

Couldn't agree more about this card reader, but there is a (pain in the ass) way to make it work every time.

1) Turn your Macbook Pro off
2) Insert card reader with CF card already in it.
3) Boot up machine and use it.

I hate this reader, but if the card and card reader are there upon boot, it works.

Return to posts index

Ryan Atkins
on Apr 7, 2010 at 6:49:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. This seems to have worked, so far anyway. I haven't had any issues since I downloaded a 10.6 driver.

Return to posts index

Michael MacGregor
on Apr 7, 2010 at 7:40:25 pm

Hello Ryan

When you said 10.6 driver what, exactly, did you mean?

Was it a driver for Snow Leopard from your card manufacturer (I assume)?

For my Verbatim card their latest driver at their website didn't do anything for me.

Mike

Mike MacGregor

Return to posts index

Ryan Atkins
on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:27:38 pm

Well, I was having issues with the Leopard 10.5 driver for my Rosewill ExpressCard 34 device. I then downloaded the Leopard 10.6 - Snow Leopard (which is my operating system). I haven't had any issues since.

You might want to take a look at the manufactures site and see if the latest drivers for your CURRENT operating system are available.

This is what I did, and this particular "fix" fixed my problem.

Does that make sense?

Return to posts index

Michael MacGregor
on Apr 7, 2010 at 9:39:58 pm

Hi Ryan

I've had Snow Leopard v10.6.3 installed for some time.

I did go to the Verbatim website and download/install their latest available driver for Mac. That didn't cure the problem.

http://www.shopdigi.com/images/mac.rar

Then an hour ago I got the above link from the people I bought the card from, ShopDigi. When I downloaded/installed that driver things seemed to work. But after I inserted/ejected the card 3 or 4 times I got the Black Screen again when I powered off the IDE controller.

Next, I tried just dragging the Compact Flash card icon from my Desktop to the Trash, removing the CF card (leaving the express adaptor in the slot) and re-inserting the CF card a number of times. So far I've not been able to crash the computer.

I also ejected the CF card by dragging it to the TRASH, then physically removed the adaptor card (with the CF card still in place) without "powering off" (the IDE controller icon at the top menu). I was able to re-insert the adaptor/CF combo a number of times without crashing.

So, I'm left perplexed and wondering when the next crash will be. I'll keep using the adaptor until such time as it starts crashing again and then ask for a refund. Too bad, because I did measure about 5X the download speed as my USB 2 card reader gives me.

I'm glad to hear that your problems seem to be fixed. Please repost if something changes that.

Regards,

Mike

Mike MacGregor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]