MAC OS X: Forum

Musical Hard Drives

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad Mayeux
Musical Hard Drives
on Mar 10, 2010 at 2:41:36 pm

Ok I am about to embark upon the seemingly difficult task of clustering 2 mac pros together. However, the caveat is that I have to play musical hard drives. Here are the details:

Mac 1:

Mac Pro, 2x3 GHz Dual_Core Intel Xenon
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM
Tiger OSX 10.4.11
HD Bay 1- 300 GB
HD Bay 2- 465 GB

Mac 2:

Mac Pro, 2x2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xenon
6 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.2
HD Bay 1- 640 GB

I have one copy of Final Cut Studio that I plan on having on Mac 2 as my main editing station. Because Mac 2 is my main workstation and Mac 1 will be the slave, I want to put the 300 GB HDD from Mac 1 into Mac 2. I want to install Snow Leopard and FCS2 onto the 300 GB drive and use the 640 GB strictly for storage and capture scratch. Well currently that 300 GB is running Tiger on Mac 1 and the 640GB is running Snow Leopard on Mac 2.

So it seems that for Mac 2, I would have to format the 300 GB on Mac 1, then move it to Mac 2 (bay 1), format the 640 GB on Mac 2 (move to bay 2), then install Snow Leopard and FCS2 on the 300 GB (bay 2).

And for Mac 1, move the 465GB drive to bay 1 and install Tiger on it.

Once that process is done, I think I will be ready to attempt to cluster them using Mac 2 as the main workstation and Mac 1 as a slave for its processing power.

I have never done either of these things and wanted to know if my presumed steps above are the best way to do it or if anyone knows of a better, faster, or smarter way to do all this.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Pasi Koivisto
Re: Musical Hard Drives
on Mar 11, 2010 at 7:32:12 pm

What do you mean with clustering? Compressor? Network renders in AE?

I think it's always a good idea to have identical setups on the computers. Same versions of all the software.

/Pasi
--
Editor, Colorist.
Mac Pro, 8x3 Ghz, 8 Gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4870, KONA 3, Sony PVM20L4, Tangent Devices Wave.

Return to posts index

Chad Mayeux
Re: Musical Hard Drives
on Mar 11, 2010 at 7:51:52 pm

Yea clustering for compresser. One day it would be nice to create a render farm but no budget for that or for upgrading tiger to snow leopard. Gotta work with what I have.

By the way I have successfully transfered all data and hard drives, however having trouble with qmaster and clustering.

Both computers are recognized by one another with Mac 2 being the controller and Mac 1 just a client. For some reason when I submit something for rendering using the new cluster, it only distributes work to Mac 2 and not 1.

Chad Mayeux
Metter, GA
Pineland Technology Solutions
Videographer/ Digital Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]