MAC OS X: Forum

R.I.P Rocketraid 4322

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James BrillR.I.P Rocketraid 4322
by on Feb 27, 2010 at 2:37:00 am

So I hope this is the correct forum but here it goes.

I recently built a SAS raid and chose the RR 4322. I installed Snow Leopard as well, both kind of a kind of christmas gift to myself. So all is well and this baby flies for a month and I online a show for National Geographic no sweat.

After finishing the show I decide to grab some shots for my reel. I scan over the timeline of my reel and a shot went offline. I go to the shot and boom we have a system melt down. Grey screen of death and me thanking god that I have a RAID 5 finally. I figured a drive died and went to rebuild with my spare drive. Well that fails over and over in the initializing process. Highpoint is not helping when it comes to support so I take it upon myself. I try many things like reinstalling SL, the drivers, etc. I decide to back up the show and delete the RAID, not a great solution but Highpoint isn't helping whatsoever and I need to move on with my life. Well it won't even create a new RAID 5 without failing to initialize after a couple perecnt. I thought well let's try a simple RAID 0, and again kernal panic and I slap my computer with it's tenth forced shut down this week. Did a clean install of SL, after making an image of my original, and still nothing.

I have basically deleted my data, RAID and operating system which basically leaves this card or it's drivers to blame and unfortunately Highpoint literally refuses to help me.

Does anyone have any solutions or know of this issue? I'm hoping for a workaround or something to watch out for.

The last thing I received from Highpoint was "We hear there are less kernel panics with 10.6.2"

P.S. Please no this is why you don't buy Rocketraid, that has been established multiple times over.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: R.I.P Rocketraid 4322
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 8:13:17 pm

Yikes. Double yikes. I've got a 4Tb GRaid that I'm going to copy my important stuff to right now. I'm sorry you had to become an anecdote for the rest of us.

Return to posts index

James BrillRe: R.I.P Rocketraid 4322
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 8:15:33 pm

Supposedly they are going to give me an RMA but we'll see.

I have a spare drive so I may put Leopard on there and see if the card will build using 10.5.8.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: R.I.P Rocketraid 4322
by on Mar 4, 2010 at 8:16:45 pm

I have to say I'm amazed they responded to you at all. I was under the impression that Highpoint support was a black hole somewhere in the mutabi nebula.

Return to posts index

steve oakesRe: R.I.P Rocketraid 4322
by on Mar 14, 2010 at 8:47:15 pm

Hi,

Had exactly the same issue's with Kernel Panics on 10.6.2. Like you tried to get support from Highpoint but to be honest I was better asking my cat as I got more support. The only recommendation I have for you is to check if your drives support NCQ and set the card accordingly. For me after 6 weeks of trying everythingI did find a solution failed....

I did solve my problem !!!!

I bought the ATTO R380 and since then have not looked back. I would suggest giving the card a little more cooling via the smcFan utility but since installation I have hammered the card for 18 hours a day and not had a single issue. The support at ATTO is also second to none, great company , great product.

Just bin your Highpoint 4322 its nothing but trouble with Snow Leopard.

Return to posts index

James BrillRe: R.I.P Rocketraid 4322
by on Mar 15, 2010 at 5:33:17 am

They finally gave me an RMA number so once I get the replacement it's right onto ebay. I use that Atto card at my office for our Sonnet RAID and it seems pretty stable. My RAID with the RR 4322 performed better than the Sonnet at my work hands down but being without a working RAID for the past 4 weeks and color correcting a RED feature this week kinda puts me in a bind.

Return to posts index

Blase TheodoreRe: R.I.P Rocketraid 4322
by on Jan 2, 2011 at 7:29:40 pm

I'm in exact same situation.
I ignored the many warnings I was hearing about using this card, and bought it anyway. Mine died about a month in and has the same issues.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonCurse you Rocketraid 4322!
by on Jan 2, 2011 at 11:30:09 pm

Did the Card die or the Drives die? I was almost going to get a second 4322 a few weeks ago when we moved into a new office and upgraded an older system, but I decided to get ATTO R380 instead. BEST. DECISION. EVER.

My point is, I really see a significant performance improvement in the R380 vs the RR4322. While I can't be completely certain that it has something to do with the drives (the RR4322 is pushing 8 2TB drives in a Proavio enclosure and the R380 is pushing 8 1TB drives), things I've discovered are:

-The ATTO raid is more consistent in AJA speed tests. The graph lines are almost straight across, vs the 4322, which hits higher overall speeds, but the lines look erratic and dip under 200 often)

-When clicking on the array in finder, there is a delay with the 4322, whereas the R380 is instant.

As soon as we get our next invoice paid, I'll be yanking the 4322 out and replacing it with a R380 - hopefully next week.

I wonder if you were to swap out the 4322 in your system with a working one - would that bring back your data? If that's a possibility, I might sell you my 4322 for a significantly reduced price when I take it out of my system. It works and has been working fine for 14 months, but as I said above, the performance isn't as good as the ATTO. I'd advise you to invest in an Areca or ATTO card in the near future either way. One caveat - if you want 2TB Caviar black drives, go with ATTO. The areca doesn't play well with those drives.

Good luck!
jd

Return to posts index

Blase TheodoreRe: Curse you Rocketraid 4322!
by on Jan 3, 2011 at 3:46:46 am

Thanks John,

On your advice, I newegg'd the ATTO R380 card to replace the RRaid, which I plan to beat with an aluminum bat.

Much appreciated!

-Blase

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Curse you Rocketraid 4322!
by on Jan 10, 2011 at 10:05:11 pm

How did that work out for you? Next big project I'm yanking this 4322 out I think, but I'd love to know how it works for you.
Are you running 2Tb drives?
Best,
John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]