MAC OS X: Forum

hardware related logs

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rodrigo fajardohardware related logs
by on Feb 27, 2010 at 1:31:43 am

Hi guys, im in charge of a mac network in a university, and recently i found that one of the imacs RAM was changed from 2x2GB cards to 2x1 GB ram cards. i just can figure some student who already owe a imac has done the job.

i need to find the date and hour in which the replacement was done so i can check the class lists and try to find who was in charge of that imac at that time.

does anyone know where to look at the logs? i need to know when this hardware was registered. please help.

best

rodrigo

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: hardware related logs
by on Feb 27, 2010 at 3:17:36 am

hello...

utilities -> console has all the logs - you'll need to be an admin to look at some, and i can't recall if or where this type of info would be, but were i to start someplace, it'd be system.log...

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: hardware related logs
by on Feb 27, 2010 at 3:42:31 am

Well to remove the ram they would have needed to turn the computer off. When you tell the computer to run off it makes a log like this.

2/26/10 8:16:18 PM kernel systemShutdown true

When you power on the machine it makes a log like this

2/26/10 8:17:44 PM bootlog[46] BOOT_TIME: 1267240628 0

Keep in mind there are hundreds of other logs that get made when the computer shuts down or powers on.

But doing a search for "systemShutdown" or "BOOT_TIME" would be where I would start looking.

But keep in mind that all for all the time you spend trying to track doen the kid to get the computer back to the 4 GB of ram is going to be probably less then $100 from crucial. So its up to you if its worth the time.

Hindsight is always 1080p

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]