MAC OS X: Forum

Mac OS X 10.5 Installation Question

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Williams
Mac OS X 10.5 Installation Question
on Feb 25, 2010 at 2:50:54 pm

I purchased Leopard Mac OS X 10.5 to install on my G5, as a lot of the browsers and software became unable to update on 10.3. So, I did my homework, and my G5 qualifies to upgrade to 10.5, and meets all the specs.

However, when Leopard came to me, it was on a dual-layer DVD. My older G5 does not have a SuperDrive capable of reading dual-layer DVDs. I have a newer MacBook Pro, which can read the Mac OS X 10.5 Install Disk.

My question is--does anyone know how to make this a "bootable" installation disk on the G5? Please look at the options below, and let me know if you have any experience with "workarounds" for this problem:

1. I made a disk image (.cdr) of the disk using the MacBook Pro, but I do not know how to make it a bootable item on the G5.
2. Is there a way to split the dual-layer DVD onto 2 4.7GB single-layer DVDs?
3. Please suggest if you have another option.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Darren Williams
Hawkeye Productions
http://www.hawkeyeproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Mac OS X 10.5 Installation Question
on Feb 26, 2010 at 3:48:47 pm

I'm not sure if this will work, but it's worth a try. It was developed for the Macbook Air (which has no optical drive at all) but I'm hoping it might work for you.

Basically, you're going to use your Macbook as an external DVD drive over the network. Here's how:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2129

The part I don't know is, will the fact that you're using 10.3 mess you up? It's possible that 10.3 won't know what's going on and nothing will happen. I think that this is really for people RE-installing 10.5 on a machine that already has 10.5, so I really have no idea if it will work for you.

It's also likely that you'll have to upgrade the Macbook to 10.5 for this to work.

This is something to try first, at least. Let us know if it works or not!

Return to posts index

Darren Williams
on Mar 1, 2010 at 3:22:43 am

Actually, the way I had to do it was to get it to recognize something in my office as a "Startup Disk". Having already purchased a MacBook Pro in September, I updated the G5 by putting the dual-layered install DVD into the MacBook, and taking the laptop into "Target Disk Mode" (System Preferences, Startup Disk on the MacBook Pro).

I plugged it into the Firewire 400 slot, and the G5 recognized it as a "Startup Disk" (System Preferences, Startup Disk on the G5).

Voila!!!

Darren Williams
Hawkeye Productions
http://www.hawkeyeproductions.com

Return to posts index

Pasi Koivisto
on Mar 1, 2010 at 1:23:05 pm

That's a good way to do it!

And if you would like to have a bootable install disk you could take that image you made and restore it to a external drive using disk utility.

As always, make sure you have a backup of anything on the external drive as you will format it = erase everything on the drive.

Basically what you do is. On your Macbook Pro insert the DVD, Open Disk Utility. Chose File > New > New disk image from "the install DVD". This will create a image of the DVD, make it read only. When that is finished go to Images > Scan for restore and chose the image you just created. This will take the time of one cup of coffee. When that is finished mount the image. Attach a external drive that you would like to use. Partition the drive so you have at least 2 partitions, the first one roughly big enough to hold the DVD and the rest of the space for storage. Make sure you go under the options menu and select the partition map scheme to be APM otherwise the mac wont be able to boot from it. When it's formatted chose the partition you created for the install dvd, go to restore. Then drag the partition to the destination and the mounted part of the image to the source. Click restore. When this is done you'll have a bootable copy of the DVD on a external drive.

There might be some small errors in this as I typed it from memory. But that's the basic procedure to do it :)

/Pasi
--
Editor, Colorist.
Mac Pro, 8x3 Ghz, 8 Gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4870, KONA 3, Sony PVM20L4, Tangent Devices Wave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]