MAC OS X: Forum

Duel Adapter Solution FAST

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joel jacksonDuel Adapter Solution FAST
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 4:11:00 pm

I need a solution FAST. I'm about to leave for a 1 month shoot all over that world and my HD workflow has stopped flowing...

Let me start with the fact that I'm a bit frustrated so please read the post with that in mind. I know that my opinion on what is happening is just an opinion and that since my workflow has been interrupted, I'm a bit upset. Please realize that I'm not angry with either Duel or Apple, I just NEED a solution that does not involve reverting 3 macbook pros to Leopard

My HD workflow recently came to a grinding halt on a shoot because of Apple and Duel not updating the drivers for SL. Yes, I realize that it's my responsibility to check everything out before updating my computers and yes I do a thorough back up before I change anything. However, one cannot check everything and this one slipped through before it was too late. I can revert to Leopard but it is not fair that I now have three $3k MacBook pro's (less than 1.5 years old) that I can never update the OS again because I need the functionality of this driver.

Having to use one of my cameras to dump footage while shooting stops production (you cannot shoot while transferring data). My client flipped out because we had to stop for over 1 hour and now may not be coming back for more work.

Here is what I got from Duel (read from the bottom up):

I have been in contact with Duel and below is the email chain. They are saying that Apple removed support for their product (which was native to Leopard and removed in Snow Leopard) and that they are not responsible for the update. This is a load of dung. All they need to do is write a new driver but since they discontinued the product they refuse to do so. In my Panasonic-Mac workflow, the Duel Adapter is the bridge between the two. Apple whole heatedly supports Panasonic and P2 with FCP but does not support the IO to import the footage. Sounds to me like Duel and Apple need to come to a truce on this and help out the thousands of users who paid over $100 to purchase the adapter. It's a driver for heaven's sake. It cant be that hard to write a few more lines of code to update it for SL.

This needs to be addressed and both Apple and Duel should have the integrity to help the people who spent their hard earned money to buy this adapter as their HD bridge for FCP and Panasonic.

Here is what I got from Duel (read from the bottom up):

Hi Joel,

Actually, from what I understand, the drivers prior to Leopard, although available from our website were a joint effort between Apple and Duel Systems. With Leopard, Apple decided to write the driver and include it with the OS however, with Snow Leopard, they decided to remove that driver and not write it for that new OS. The reason why Apple removed the driver is unknown. As for us developing drivers, development on the Duel Adapter has ceased and hence, there are no plans for any new drivers or bugfixes.

Thanks and regards,
Eric Mena
Duel Systems Technical Support
Original Message Subject: Re: Snow Leopard support
Date: Wed, February 03, 2010 10:27 pm
To: "support@duel-systemsadapters.com"

Thanks for the response although it is rather confusing to me. The drivers prior to Leopard are written by duel and downloadable from your website. So it seems to me that you would just need to update your drivers for snow leopard. How does Apple have anything to do with you writing drivers for their OS? I do realize that Apple's last OS supported your hardware natively but prior to 10.5 duel wrote it's own drivers. If it is a question of cost, I would be willing to pay for new drivers as would others I'm sure.

Your product is the keystone in my workflow. I have invested over $100,000 in creating a video capture workflow based on Apple MacBook pro, panssonic p2 cameras, the duel adapter, and Lacie hard drives for rigorous field shooting. Once again, I must say that the duel adapter is a key component in my (and many others) HD video workflow. Any insight into why you cannot write a new driver to support the new mac OS would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,
Joel Jackson
joel@creativebloc.com

On Feb 3, 2010, at 9:23 PM, support@duel-systemsadapters.com wrote:

Hi Joel,

Unfortunately, we do not have drivers planned for Snow Leopard. This issue is actually caused by the removal of the drivers from Snow Leopard that were built-in to Leopard. It was a decision made by Apple therefore, I would advise you to contact Apple about having them include those drivers again.

Otherwise, the only path to take is to downgrade to Leopard or Tiger or alternatively, using Boot Camp to run Windows XP or Vista.

Thanks and regards,
Eric Mena
Duel Systems Technical Support

Joel Jackson
http://www.creativebloc.com/port.html

Return to posts index

joel jacksonRe: Duel Adapter Solution FAST
by on Feb 4, 2010 at 10:14:42 pm

Cowians,

I've decided to go with the Panasonic 5 slot card reader (I got a great deal on one)I made the commitment long ago to the P2 work flow so I feel that I should do it right and keep it all Panasonic. No sense in being cheap when my reputation and client footage are on the line. Thanks for all of your support and advice. I love all of your creative solutions. The innovation you can find on the cow always amazes me!

Best,
Joel

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]